PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
This tobacco is listed as a smooth " blend " of Virginias and comes in a crumble cake form.

The tin aroma is superb and very inviting.

Smoking straight Virginia is new thing for me and while it may not be my main thing there is something drawing me back to it although I don't find the taste remarkable.

The kick comes off as strong in this one with the flavour seeming very straight. It catches me in the throat, similar to some Va Per I tried recently.

I think the quality is there and some may really like it.

The Fox on the label works for me.

I would be interested in reports on their Balkan style blends.
This is a good article I found on smoking Virginias:

http://www.jimscigarandpipe.info/virginia.html
All the best
SC

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Virginias seem to have their own complexity to me. It's not like an English blend where there are several distinct

tobaccos, but it still changes through the bowl and unfolds. Burley is somewhat steadier, but it has its own depth.

It's nice to go with essentially one tobacco, or a blend of one kind of tobacco with the Virginias. In rotation these

set up for blends of two or more tobaccos and offer a nice change and contrast.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I smoke quite a lot of Briar Fox, it smokes smooth and doesn't bite. I use it to break in all my pipes and it is great for removing ghosts.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've come close to smoking Briar Fox several times. Seems to me I had an 8 oz tin or several of the 2 oz. Sold, whatever I had; wish I had kept it.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
The tin note reminds me of the smell of horse feed, or a barn. But I like the taste. It is quite strong in nicotine.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've had a tin of Briar Fox stored away for 3 years now. It's one of those I pick up from to time and end up passing over and popping the seal on something else. This thread has me curious though, might crack it soon.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
As noted, it does have the nic going on and sometimes that is the necessity.

I would however like to hear of some alternate Virginias that get high marks with more flavor.

This one can be somewhat harsh and bitter.
SC

Dec 24, 2012
Could it be that you are just having a reaction to the burley in Briar Fox? Can you normally smoke burley without issue?

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I actually in my younger days liked Burley, but have not gotten any recently. Its on the list.

I'd like a Virginia with kick thats different from this one.

Possibly Old Dark Fired??
SC

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Well, I'm getting ready to fire up my first bowl of Briar Fox. I will let you know what I think tomorrow. I agree with the comments on it smelling like horse feed, hay, etc. But there is a lot more to it's complexity in the unburning aroma. Looking forward to seeing how it smoke. I'm sort of new to the non-aromatics, I think I'm gonna like them. God bless and have a great evening.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Ok, no need to wait to speak about this. It's good. Seems to have a little more "bite" if you can call it that, over the Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake but the burn is better. Great flavor and it has a wonderful room note. I will smoke more of this and try it in some different pipes. I smoked it in my Stanwell tonight. I give it a thumbs up.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you're looking for Va's try McClellend's, it's what their known for. Blackwoods flake, St. James woods, Christmas Cheer, all wonderful smokes.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks Andrew! Just trying new stuff. I'm also interested in some English blends. I used to smoke a good one years ago, but can't remember what it was. I'm really loving an aromatic called Black Gold. But want to open other horizons. Thanks again and God bless.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you want to try some english blends hotshot dunhill MM965 and nightcap is great, as well as Newminister english oriental and newminister english luxus, they're all nicely balanced blends that aren't too strong in any one area. Just an all around nice balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.