PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
I had snagged a few tins awhile back, then SP went out-of-stock for AWHILE....now it is back and I snagged another lb of this leaf again....I don't have the gift of pipe tobacco review, so I will quote JimInks below, otherwise I might just say it is very GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! :worship:
Review by Jimknks

The tart and tangy, dark fruity, earthy red Virginia is complimented by the grassy, citrusy bright Virginia. The spicy, raisiny perique is just more than a condiment. The woody, mildly nutty, lightly floral, fairly dry dark fired Kentucky plays a slightly more important role than the perique, and is a supporting player, especially after the first quarter of the bowl. The strength and taste levels gather a little potency as you go along, starting out as mild to medium, and settles at the medium level just past the half way point. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium, and gets a tad stronger at the same time the strength and taste aspects do. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no dull moments. Burns cool, clean, and very slightly slow with a fairly rich flavor, leaving little moisture in your pipe. Needs a few more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly filling after taste. Can almost be an all day smoke for experienced smokers, and repeatable for those who aren’t.
From SP.Com

Cornell & Diehl - Bluegrass: A steady rhythm of bright and red Virginias is joined by an accompaniment of robust Perique and dark fired Kentucky, making for a spicy little diddy sure to keep you on your toes.

Jul 12, 2011
You got it Brother...I saved you some over there - :puffy:
I smoke tons of GLP's JackKnife Plug, Triple Play, MB's ODF, etc., just to give you a little more insight into my tastes and I really have been enjoying these more stout blends.
I think C&D's Bluegrass pairs very nice with a good cup of coffee in the AM or with Bourbon in the PM

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, Forums member Scott sent me a sample of this from the Chicago show. Can't wait to try it. I have so many good blends on hand, I hardly know what to pack now or next.

Jul 12, 2011
Glad you got some to try out - it is hitting all the notes for me that JimInks mentions in his review. Having some now in a Stanwell Golden Danish (45) with side of coffee.
Just make sure to give it some slight dry time out of the tin...it doesn't need much, I usually give it around 30min or so and it just shines in the briar

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
+1 for the Dune quote. This blend sounds tasty. I’ve really been enjoying VA blends that have a bit of dark fired in there.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Oh yes, Bluegrass rocks! 4 star VA-Bur-per for me. Great call smokingdragon. Love the "Dune" allusion, too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just don't smoke this stuff. It's fatally addictive, will turn your eyes blue on blue, and worms will attack your cellar.
403b3643b508ba52bda1.jpg

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Just got a tin of Bluegrass and a tin of JKP, can’t wait to try both of them!
Just don't smoke this stuff. It's fatally addictive, will turn your eyes blue on blue, and worms will attack your cellar.
Not if you learn to walk the sands and keep an eye out for worm-sign!

Jul 15, 2011
Just don't smoke this stuff. It's fatally addictive, will turn your eyes blue on blue, and worms will attack your cellar
That's to say nothing of the fact that Kyle MacLachlan shows up to deliver that blend to your door personally, and no one wants that. :mrgreen:

Jul 12, 2011
I hope they start offering 8oz tins, lol - I'm blasting through the 2oz ones...man this stuff get better and better with each smoke.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I may have to try a tin of this. I personally can’t stop smoking 5 O’clock Shadow, it’s so sweet, dark and smooth. Bluegrass seems to add a little cigar leaf into the mix

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Bluegrass is an excellent balance of these tobaccos. It might share a place in the cellar with Russ O.'s Fire Storm, a somewhat higher test combination of similar leaf. They both are excellent and flavorful and can be alternated to match your mood.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I’ve smoked several bowls of it now and it’s really swung my tastes toward blends that have Kentucky and Burley. Being mostly a Virginia,and va/per smoker, this blend has opened up a genre that until recently I wasn’t very interested in.. Thank you Dragon for pointing out the worm-sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.