PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Great review as always. Sounds like a nice blend to try out. I hate to admit, but I have only tried a few Cornell and Diehl blends. I guess I'm going to have to start making a list of their tobacco I want to try.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's my one pound brick of Night Train.
pound-of-night-train.jpg

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I tried both Tuskegee Airman, and Kajun Kake for the most recent, and loved them both. Ive tried bowls of a couple others from a friend but can't honestly remember what(a couple aromatic blends). What I have had has been very good so I'll make a C&D only purchase my next order and try a few more including this.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
One question can someone explain the keeping this tobacco slightly humidified or freezing the brick. I have never heard of this, I always was told and thought not to humidify your tobacco and also never have heard of the freezing method. Thought it was interesting just wouldn't mind a little more detail for why.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Surfmac211,

I was taken aback too. I got my brick of Night Train and rubbed out the whole thing, then stuffed it tightly in Mason jars. I haven't had any problems. Personally, I think freezing tobacco will damage it at the cellular level -- and I think my opinion was formed by, if not completely owing to, G L Pease.
Also consider: the brick is so substantial that, if brought out of the freezer a good deal of moisture would condense on the exposed surfaces (unless you're in the desert.) There's a lot to consider here, and I say that if the Mason jar thing works, don't explore hazardous territory.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Surf and Cortez,
I have also heard the same things regarding the storage of tobacco. I was actually surprised to hear that Mrs. Tarler suggested storing the brick in the freezer as I was always told to never store tobacco in the freezer.
I am wondering if it being pressed into brick form has a different effect on it. The Tarlers do know a ton about tobacco though, so maybe one day when I buy some more Night Train in a large brick, I will give the freezer method a try with a portion of the brick.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It took me a while, but I found G L Pease's statement in The Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage and Cellaring FAQ dated 29 March 2005. He was writing about storage conditions and happened to mention that freezing is not a good idea; but he didn't elaborate on it. Maybe if he reads this thread he'll do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.