Tags:  No tags yet. 

Corncobs are Under Rated

(35 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by seamusjft
  • Latest reply from surlysoul
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

I love my corn cob pipes, I have 6 that i use daily. I tend to reach for them more than my briars, apart from my 2 petersons and a couple i have that just are a marriage made in heaven with certain tobaccos. I wouldnt be without my cobs. The other 5 i own i use for when a new order of tobacco arrives.

BIG UP THE CORN COB WHOOP WHOOP!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yur a smart feller...

i too reach for my nasty old cobs most of the time, to the warden's dismay...

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I go through phases. There are time where I smoke only cobs for awhile, and times I only smoke clays. Then I go back to the briars and meers

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I admit to rating them pretty far down the scale myself. To me a corncob is a cheap, utilitarian smoke. It's not something to collect or treasure. I have one, compared with 40+ briars. I understand the old-timey appeal, but to me they are what you smoke if you're sitting on a boat in the middle of a lake and you don't care if your pipe falls overboard.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think my next purchase will be a bag of MM seconds.

Can you still purchase "forever stems" from Walker Briarworks?

I think I'd be set after that

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunno about the forever stems, but your next purchase is the same as mine. There isn't a better smoking pipe than a cob. I'm down to 2, and am in serious need of more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, to you maybe there is not a better smoking pipe than a cob which is fine, but to thousands and thousands of pipe smokers they are not very good smoking pipes.

I think cobs have their place, fishing, camping, doing stuff. But they are not a substitute for a well made briar or meer.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, foreverstems are still available and, in my view at least, make a big positive difference. The big weakness in a cob isn't the bowl but rather the stem. Otherwise I love them and smoke them with the same happiness I smoke my briars. They don't need a break/in to smoke well, but do smoke better broken in IMO.

At the end of the day, it's apples and oranges. Two different smoking experiences, both of which can be very pleasurable in their own way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jharvard

jharvard

Login to Send PM

Corncob pipes on a hot summer day are the way to go for me. Not so much in cold or milder weather though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"I admit to rating them pretty far down the scale myself. To me a corncob is a cheap, utilitarian smoke. It's not something to collect or treasure."

"... but to thousands and thousands of pipe smokers they are not very good smoking pipes.
    I think cobs have their place, fishing, camping, doing stuff. But they are not a substitute for a well made briar or meer."

I would love to see the results of something like a 'blind tasting' comparing cobs with briars and meers. I'm not about to claim that most smokers wouldn't detect some kind of difference, but I'd bet that lots more smokers would be surprised by their fine smoking qualities if they were somewhat more objective.
    I've said in other threads that I've smoked Dunhills and other fine briars, but I derive at least as much smoking pleasure from an MM cob.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, foreverstems are still available and, in my view at least, make a big positive difference. The big weakness in a cob isn't the bowl but rather the stem. Otherwise I love them and smoke them with the same happiness I smoke my briars

Awesome,

So, if i bought a bag of seconds... would one of the forever stems (for the filtered variety) fit one, or most, of the cobs?

Am I correct that most of he MM cobs take a filter, and thats the style of forever stem I should go for? (Even though I plan to use them filter free)

Sorry for jacking this thread a little. I am a little excited to see what cobs are all about.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gray, if you go to Walker Briarworks site, you'll see all of their stem options for different classes of MM pipes. Yes, they shoukd fit on seconds.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've found a considerable difference comparing the smoking experience an MM corn cob versus a briar. I can see how some would favor one, hate one, or love both -- all for what, to each puffer, are very valid reasons.

That said, it doesn't mean one puffer is absolutely correct and another is all wet about cobs. It's very much a personal thing.

I think every pipe smoker should own at least one good, MM corn cob and give it a fair chance. They're All-American, really inexpensive and easy to find. If you honestly feel your Fernando Lamas complex being trashed smoking a cob (i.e., you don't "looook soooo maahh-Vah-lusss"), do it solo, like in your man cave.

I also recommend someone new to pipes get a few cobs as MM Corn Cob pipes are a cheap and easy way to quickly obtain a selection of pipes for one's rotation so they aren't relegated to smoking the same pipe or two everyday.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. kris

kris

Login to Send PM

To me, smoking a cob can't be compared to smoking a briar, or a meer for that matter.

They are completley different experiences. Not saying that one is better than the other, just depends on personal preference.

If someone held a gun to my head and made me choose cob or briar for the rest of my life...i'd go with briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"To me, smoking a cob can't be compared to smoking a briar, or a meer for that matter.
    They are completley different experiences. Not saying that one is better than the other, just depends on personal preference.
    If someone held a gun to my head and made me choose cob or briar for the rest of my life...i'd go with briar."

If someone held a gun to your head, he's most likely be some fanatic from the California Legislature telling you to stop smoking both the cob and the briar...

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few cobs. I use them for aromatics sometimes because I don't want to ghost my briars. I also use them when I'm cutting the grass or having a smoke in the pool or hot tub - basically, anywhere i don't want to risk damaging a good briar. They do a fine job for what they are - and certainly in my view do as good of a job and probably much better than any basket pipe available these days. But let's be honest, though a good value, they don't hold a candle to a really fine briar pipe. A moped is good and economical transportation - it gets you from Point A to Point B and is even fun to drive once in awhile - but it's still a moped and who wants to be seen driving a moped.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have three rotations going. My briars, meer, brylon, and the clay cutties are the relaxing around the house pipes.
    4 of the small clays from P&C's are in a jar with a pouch of Troost Aro Cavendish next to the bed for that quick smoke before sleep, on waking up or on those occasions when I need to cover up the smell of her Camel menthols in bed.
    Then I have 20 cobs from MM Bag-o-seconds that are my toss in the pocket to smoke when I'm out.

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gray, when you order your cobs order a few extra "Danish" stems, you can get them straight or bent and they will fit your filtered cobs. I have found these to be a much better feeling stem IMO and they much more durable and are only 50 cents a piece.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Corn cobs have been my most frequently grabbed pipes. Just love everything about them, kinda like preferring a jeep over a Mercedes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I admit to rating them pretty far down the scale myself. To me a corncob is a cheap, utilitarian smoke. It's not something to collect or treasure. I have one, compared with 40+ briars. I understand the old-timey appeal, but to me they are what you smoke if you're sitting on a boat in the middle of a lake and you don't care if your pipe falls overboard.

I'll second that. The thing I really do enjoy a cob with is a codger burley in the summertime,it just seems right. But for serious smoking- nope.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Corncobs underrated? Apparently not around here.

I have one but never smoke it. I much prefer briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing wrong with cobs,enjoy mine all the time.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my cob. I also think they're underrated. If I could only have one pipe, would it be a cob or a briar? It would be a briar. But cobs have their place. If your wallet's not fat you shouldn't be excluded from the club; cobs should exist if only for that reason. Also, they have a rustic charm. They remind me of a Norman Rockwell painting.

If I was a Lord living in a manor house with a brace of Dunhills and Tom Sawyer wanted to share a smoke on the upstairs balcony with his cob, he would be welcome. I could teach him how to tie flies and he could show me how to catch grubs. He'd trade me a cob he'd whittled and I'd give him a Dunhill I'd inherited, and we'd smoke them both together happily. We're all in this together.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cobs do seem to get a lot of love here.

Which is why I now have a bag of seconds and a forever stem on the way!

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

I walked into a pipe and tobacco b&m with my cob, and the shop keep asked me if I was in for an up grade. So I bought two more cobs and a tin of Common Wealth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I walked into a pipe and tobacco b&m with my cob, and the shop keep asked me if I was in for an up grade."

Now that's funny!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

I would love to see the results of something like a 'blind tasting' comparing cobs with briars and meers. I'm not about to claim that most smokers wouldn't detect some kind of difference, but I'd bet that lots more smokers would be surprised by their fine smoking qualities if they were somewhat more objective.
    I've said in other threads that I've smoked Dunhills and other fine briars, but I derive at least as much smoking pleasure from an MM cob.

How would that work? A pipe/Pepsi contrived "glory-hole" of sorts? Say a wall of plywood with 2-3 forever stems poking through (so all have an indistinguishable stem and 3 different pipes on the other side of the wall...say a cob a meer and a briar? Why not throw a brylon in there and make it an even 4? I also suggest tamping-gnomes on the bowl side of the wall to keep all flowing and burning smoothly. But this will never happen because none of us can agree on a tester tobacco, even the codger blends are heavily disputed.

On another topic, all I own is a cob (so far) so you can throw me in there for heavily biased cob love. However I have my first briar ready to arrive any day. That being said though, I ordered two other cobs with it. Preference? How would I know... Fits my budget? Hell yeah.

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

In a snobby mood, I once said that smoking fine tobacco in a cob is like eating steak on a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork.
    The response I got was, "It's still steak."

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

I'm still new to this but I haven't been able to detect much of a difference in flavor of a tobac in a cob versus briar. However, the briars that I own are heavily used estate pipes and that might have something to do with it. I always get a cool smoke from my cobs and they don't need fussing with- just a regular cleaning as all pipes need. My briars? I am always adjusting the pack or the light...dealing with gurgling or worrying about charring the rim, scratching the bowl or letting it rest enough. Cobs let me get down to enjoying the smoke experience more easily. Again, a more thorough experiment might be to start with a new pipe and evolve together with it. However making that kind of investment into a pipe that may not be ideal just doesn't fit my life right now.

I have a bag of extras from MM and invested in a few 'nicer' cobs and they make me happy. I smoked a bowl in my General McArthur cob the other day- pure bliss. It's all a matter of preference.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

chops said:

"I smoked a bowl in my General McArthur cob the other day- pure bliss."

I've been thinking about ordering a Mac from MM. Which would you recommend - the bent polished or the straight natural?

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I definitely would say cobs are underrated. I've had a few here and there and I've never had a bad smoke with them. They're not a regular in my rotation but, I don't deny the fact that they smoke very well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

yadan-

Which would you recommend - the bent polished or the straight natural?

I have the straight version. Another thing I love about the cobs is their lightness, and therefore comfort, while smoking. I think you would be good with either the bent or straight in terms of how it will sit on your jaw. The rest is just about looks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 simnettpratt! I think you've got it right, my friend. We are absolutely all in this together.

~seanMoses

"There can be no doubt that smoking nowadays is largely a miserable automatic business. People use tobacco without ever taking an intelligent interest in it. They do not experiment, compare, fit the tobacco to the occasion. A man should always be pleasantly conscious of the fact that he is smoking."
    -John Boynton Priestley
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. surlysoul

surlysoul

Login to Send PM

I am pretty new to this so my opinions may change, but my take on cobs is:

I enjoy smoking them
    they are cheap and as a new pipe smoker this allows me to have several pipes
    they are light and this makes for a comfortable smoke if I am doing something while smoking
    they are easy to smoke, they don't require a breakin, but smoke better after a break in
    I prefer to change the stems with the forever stems
    I don't like the filters, I would rather run a pipe cleaner through it than store moisture in the pipe
    They are perfect for strong aromatics so I don't ruin a briar

Than being said I really enjoy a nice long relaxing smoke with a virginia in my peterson

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   deuce26, andystewart, eightywon, daimyo, darwin, torque, ravkesef, snagstangl, tbradsim1, sidious, teufelhund, maxpeters, crazyhog, drwatson, algenib, doctorthoss, panagiotis, alex87, woodsroad, tucson, lordnoble, skapunk1, michiganlover, willc, mso489, fishingandpipes