PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Hey everyone. I just wanna say that my tobacco arrived and I've been having fun for a few days now and enjoying hobby.

In my first post on here I made a comment that I'm not really interested in corncob pipes since I dont like the look of them. Well I must admit i was very wrong about them. Since I ordered a pipe from ebay and still didn't arrive i went ahead and invested 10$ in corncob from my local cigar shop. I must say it smokes really good and it feels very nice in hand. It does get hot towards the end but that be me not smoking it right. I also bought Brigham Voyageur 1-Dot Pipe #103 and it doesnt get as hot as corn but then again its 6 times more expensive too.

Now to my question.

Is there any difference between Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs and Chinese made corn cob pipes? I was browsing ebay and say some China pipes sold for 1.50$ and Missouri is 10$ in my shop. Are they really 10 times better pipes? I'm thinking corn is corn right? Not sure if I'm missing some crucial differences. Am I only paying for made in USA sign?

Thanks

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
Yes, there is a massive difference. I suppose the most obvious one is quality, MM cobs are made to last a good long time. The Chinese cobs don't just smoke differently, but you'll burn through them in no time. You can get a genuine MM cob from 4Noggins for $4,99 - considering you could be smoking that for a few months, I think it's a good deal :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yes, there is a massive difference. I suppose the most obvious one is quality,

I agree.

A MM is a vastly superior pipe to anything you can obtain from a Chinese manufacturer.

While inexpensive; cheap, isn't a word I would apply to Missouri Meerschaums, but I wouldn't say the same for those produced across the seas.
I have a MM Cob that I have had for 20 or 25 probably more years, that I smoke on a regular basis.

Like anything else; with a little care, it'll last and become a thing worthy of pride.
IMG00010.jpg

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Chinese cobs aren't worth a fraction of the cheap price they are sold for. I got one by accident and 3 smokes later it was junk. I have only been smoking a pipe for 8 months or so but still have the $6 cob I bought when I started and smoke it regularly. MM has a special corn they grow just for their pipes with makes for a larger much stronger cob.

You will be very disappointed in anything but a MM Cob IMHO.

pustolov

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Awesome. Those are the answers I was looking for. Glad I didn't place orders. Thnks all

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Consider that the Chinese don't have many, if any, restrictions on the chemicals they use -vs- the FDA regulations (some of them I actually agree with) that the US has. It's a no brainer.
I have 3 MM Cobs and had a little trouble adjusting to them (I was smoking them too hot). After I got my Forever stems from WalkerBriarWorks I was totally satisfied, and wish I'd known about them when I first started.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I have over a dozen cobs and every one of them are Missouri Meerschaums. I have a couple of inexpensive briar pipes, but 9 times out of 10, when I reach to my collection for a pipe to smoke, it's one of my MM cobs.
They never let me down no matter what blend I use, and deliver a superb smoke every single time. I purchased the 10 Smokable Seconds grab bag, and all of them are indeed smokable. Most of them you cannot even pick out why on earth they didn't make the cut, but MM is picky like that. One of the reasons they are such a well respected manufacturer, I'd say.
Get the smokable seconds grab bag, you won't regret it!
Happy Piping! :puffy:

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
MM Cobs are the mainstay of my day to day pipes. I keep a few in my truck, in the shop, in my travel pouch, in the back sun room. There are some blends that come alive in a MM cob. MM Cobs; best value for the dollar anywhere. Chinese cobs....um now. I'll just stick with Chinese food, and not Chinese cob pipes.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
MM cobs are amazing and have been around for a long time, so they are doing something right. You can check them out on youtube and see the process of them making a cob, its pretty awesome. They age their corn for 2 years after cutting it so it makes it hard and long lasting once made into a pipe, I doubt china does anything remotely close to what MM does.

Status
Not open for further replies.