PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhfar77

Lurker
Feb 20, 2015
Good Morning Gentlemen,
I am brand new to pipe smoking and this is my first post in a forum. I picked up a decent quality briar but I've found myself pining for a more than one bowl, and several days in a row. I decided to also get a corncob to get some rotation. I have the Missouri Meerschaum Missouri pride. Its a filtered pipe. How often should I be changing those cotton filters?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: I apologize if this is a repeat post

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're told to change them every smoke, but I usually change them every three or four. You can use the least expensive

Medico filters, Dr.Grabow filters, or even the Savenelli balsa filters that you can rinse and re-use a few times. You can

also smoke your cob without a filter if you don't mind a fairly open draw. You can also buy MM corn cob pipes that are

not filtered; just read the descriptions of the pipes carefully. In addition, you might enjoy Old Dominion corn cob pipes

with reed stems, a real old timey cob pipes and high quality. Be sure to clean the entire MM pipe when you change the filters,

to keep things in good shape.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hi Jhfar, What's the 77 mean? I always change my filters after two bowls at the most because you can taste them a little at that point. A lot of people here don't use them at all.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
While setting on the back porch hold filter between thumb and index finger ,thump said filter and go for distance .If you enjoy this sport grab some filters if not it will be ok not to use them .

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Personally I hate filters. No filter... no need to change it, much less purchase any.

When it comes to MM cobs I replace the stem(s) with Forever Stems which then reduces the open draw that will happen if you simply take out the filter with the plastic stems that are on the MM cobs. Either way, ya can't beast a MM cob. :wink:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I normally don't bother using them, as the open draw also opens the flavors, imo. Another alternative is to get Dave Wolf from Walker Briar Works to cut a "Forever Stem" for your filtered cobs. A stem will cost more than most of your cobs but you can easily switch the stem between pipes. Dave is at http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/-forever-_stems.html or call him at 734.216.6698. Tell him the guys from Pipes Magazine say hello.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My opinion is to toss the filter and don't look back.
The wide open draw in combination with a well-seasoned cob is perfect.
Varying your packing method to reduce flow, rather than constricting it, is what I recommend.
As they say, YMMV. :)
Welcome to the forum and to the world of pipe smoking! :puffy:

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I like 'em as well, especially the Savinellis which can be cheaply duplicated at the hobby shop with triangular balsa sticks. Perfectly tames the draw of a cob, effectively traps moisture but not flavor, and greatly reduces inhaling bits of tobacco. Not much of downside there.

Mar 1, 2014
I've been pretty consistent about using a small bent piece of pipe cleaner as a filter in my Cobs.

The MacArthur can hold almost an entire cleaner, but even a 1" section is enough to keep bits of tobacco from getting in your mouth, which is primarily why I use filters. It can help with gurgle as well.

The MacArthur is an un-filtered Cob, so even the regular stems are wide enough to fit some pipe cleaner inside. Just make sure you have what you need to fish one out if it slips in too far, you can try fitting it in the bit first before you put it back on the shank, but that sometimes blocks the nice open draft.

I just make sure to keep really fine needle nose pliers on-hand in case the tenon pushes the cleaner in more.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Try it with the filter, then try it without. Which ever way you like it better, go with that.
Otherwise, I'm with mso489 - you really only need to change a medico paper filter every 3 or 4 bowls.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I smoke my cobs w/o filters, but I have used them and I think the draw IS improved by reducing the size of that stem chamber. I don't think it's improved enough to mess with the filters. My non filter cobs draw with a little more resistance which seems to be just right.
and...welcome to the forums!

mike

jhfar77

Lurker
Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for the insight everyone. I had no idea there was such an active community of pipe smokers online. Ill be sure to post any other questions I have. Thanks in advance. Happy smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.