PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
yesterday i conducted an experiment with one of my cob pipes. i filled and lit it @ 8 am and kept it going all day untill well after six. sometimes i just shoved more tobacco on top when she got down under 3/4 full and relit, other times i finished it all and started over with a fresh one.
the pipe handled the abuse no problem along with my jaw.
now i understand when i was a kid the old farts who kept their pipes going all day.... now if i could figure out how to get by with this everyday...

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
fun experiment at least. You'll have to repeat it several times to prove your results. Thats a plus. :puffy:

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Sounds like a very successful experiment.....but I'm not so sure my tongue could handle the entire day.... :?

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Contrary to popular belief, this also workds w/ANY pipe, MEERS as well. An occasional cleaner in to dry and continue to march. As I've said in another thread, there are time where a pipe 'MIGHT" get an hr. rest between smokes. Some days the feel of that particular pipe is working so well, and the tobacco is working...ofcourse it is interesting to switch out the t'baccy..meaning as long as it had Lat weed in it..its fun. Happy to hear ya had a good experiment.

jjtroutbum

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
Pipe? Assuming a specific MM cob was used. If not still interested. What tobacco or blends were smoked ? Would also be of interest to me.
Thanks for sharing.

billy123

Lurker
Mar 14, 2011
It's an interesting point - how many smokers repack a pipe before it's finished and how many religiously finish the bowl. I confess to repacking an unfinished bowl.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I repack a bowl, and often let it sit till I'm ready or have more time.

letting it sit on the brass pipe rest till I need it has become like a habit with me.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I'm not sure my tongue would last all day, either. You'd have to take 'er slow and easy. I'd also like to know what blend worked all day like that.
Simon

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Somewhere online I saw a video made on-site at a fancy-schmancy tobacconista, and the

guy at the counter suggested repacking a pipe with at least a little tobacco to help get

down to the unburnt dottle from the first bowl.
Like fatman, I've pushed a pipe all day with no adverse effects, merely running

a pipe cleaner thru it between refills. I do, however, give it a long rest afterwards.

Typically I smoke a pipe no more than twice a day; and rest it for at least 24 hrs.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I use the argument that a pipe has to rest several days after use as an excuse to get many pipes. Works as long as my wife believes me. :lol:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
My pipes always taste funny after more than two bowls in one day. . .. Except my clays. Just my experience though.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
mac baren navy flake, mac baren mixture flake, (using the stuf n puff method) sutliff cd blend and sutliff outdoors plus a local shop blend.
yes it was a mm cob, bent diplomat.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
I can usually get away with two bowls a day from the same pipe.After that it just doesnt taste the same as the first bowl.Maybe its just me.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I suppose I could push the same pipe all day; hell, I know my grandfather did...but at the same time, he also smoked the same tobacco all day (or, more correctly, through his entire smoking career), and I certainly don't...so, every time I switch blends, I switch bowls.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Haven't tried repacking. I usually just reload after the bowl is done.
My MM corncob has become my "driving around" pipe. So it gets a lot of repeated use with very little downtime. In my experience, (and maybe it's just me)the corncob gets BETTER the longer it's been smoking. It seems like the first 1/4 of the first bowl is always a bit harsher and less flavorful then the 4th or 5th continuous bowl.
I took the paper filter out of my corncob as well, and haven't really noticed any difference whatsoever. Is there a point to the filter?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Is there a point to the filter?
kf5eqv... There certainly is a point.

Once the filter is no longer viable, one is compelled by seeming necessity to replace it with another. Therefore; after running through a box in the above manner one is seemingly compelled to buy another box. :D

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
They are like the blue bristles on your toothbrush that tell you when the brush is worn out. If the blue never fades, you might need to face the fact that you don't brush enough. That's the relationship that I have with my maple filters on Brigham pipes. Stupid things won't turn brown. Ergo, I need to smoke more.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.