PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Please don't balk at the stalk. Shucks, I hope this works. Here is a very corny display of my current cob crop. Diplomats at top, Country Gentlemen lower left, Great Dane acorn and Missouri Pride on the right. Thanks for looking and may your next bowl be as smooth as silk.
cob.jpg

Edit: Fixed Photo; Lawrence

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I like that bottom left one.
Love the corn flakes box heh heh.
Thanks for sharing mate.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Corn cob pipes, corn whiskey, and Lake Tanycomo. If it wasn't for those danged Cardinals it'd be a great state. Just kiddin'! And just ordered two more cobs, both "Legends". :mrgreen:

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
I like them all. Nothing says form & function quite like an MM cob. Looks like you keep 'em filter-ated...

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
corn guy do the gentlemens smoke as well as the diplomats? I think they are on my hit list for cob pick ups in Feb.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Nice display and MM's smoke very smooth. Can't beat a corn cob for a great smoke !!! :worship:

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
And here I thought he was praising the merits of Pappy's corn squeezin's, white lightnin', shhhh.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Teamhavoc, it's difficult to say which is smoother -- the Country Gentleman or the Diplomat. Both give me a cool, dry smoke.

I would say a bowl lasts just a touch longer in the CG, however, the walls of the Diplomat are thicker and it never gets hot.

I guess it depends on whether you're a heavy or light puffer. I'm a medium to light puffer so I usually never have a "hot" bowl problem no matter which MM I'm smoking.

For whatever reason I perfer the feel of the Dipolomat in my hand.

But if I were forced to select a current favorite, it would be the Grane Dane acorn (lower right) -- large bowl, terrific feel and I love its shape.

At the moment, I'm enjoying a slow, morning smoke in my CG bent.
And, yes I like corn flakes, corn bread, corn on the cob (cooked in the husks), corn and chicken chowder, but I must admit I've never had corn liquor. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm missing.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I have one MM the "General" I think its called but I could be mistaken. It is a great smoker. Excellent draw and great feel in my hand. But from the first time that I smoked it I noticed that the bottom walls were "burning through" and continue each time that I smoke it.
What to do? I would probably "mud" them but I don't have cigar ash to do so with. This was a huge bummer for me.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Flipflop, that is a bummer. I have heard of such instances.

Some MMs have hardwood bottoms and that's listed in the description on the MM website.

I smoke almost, but not quite, to the bottom. When I "knock out" my pipe (the old fashioned way against my palm in the backyard or in a flower pot on the patio) I always have a few (very few) shreds of unsmoked tobacco.

I have never experienced the "burn-through" problem and hope I don't.

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
loving the cobs there!! I've always had a soft spot for them, a little slice of americana. I dont have the right look for smoking them so i often forget about their awesomeness!

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
That's what smoking at home is for, those things you just feel awkward with outside (like a 22" solid wood churchwarden. . .)

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Yes, Puffintuff, these cobs are indeed great smokers.

Yoru mentioned something that triggered a thought.

Most of my smoking, 90 percent or more, is at home -- inside and out depending on weather conditions.

That, my smoking brothers, is a function of societal norms and restrictions.

I SWD (smoke while driving) every now and then in my Jeep, but there aren't many "public" places that are pipe-friendly.

Sometimes I'll take one my cobs out for for a walk, in dry weather, of course.

Also, I'll enjoy a bowl outdoors after playing golf but I don't smoke while playing. I have all I can handle just trying to grind out a decent round without tamping between shots.

My old-time links heroes -- Harry Vardon and Ted Ray -- both smoked their pipes while playing. How did they manage?

Aside from a golf course smoke, I can't think of any other "public" places where I can legally smoke.

Thus, my cobs not only give me a terric smoke but they are the perfect fashion accessory for my casual lifestyle.

They fit me like a glove.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I still have the opportune to smoke outside, I live in a college town ,I smoke on campus (and I am damned-near always on campus on class-days so thank god for that favour) and walking around town, or just sitting at the coffee shop on the square (never once ordered a coffee there come to think, but the person I'm chatting with usually does).

Status
Not open for further replies.