PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
So I have about 20 briars in my collection. All but a few were purchased on eBay and restored in the proper fashion. None are any of the big names that sell for $100+ new. I thoroughly enjoyed bringing them back from the dead.
I recently bought a corn cob pipe (The General) and it smokes far better than any of my briars. So good that I have no desire to smoke anything else. All my tobaccos taste better and the smoke is cooler. I smoke mostly virginias and va-pers and occasionally an aromatic.
My thoughts are that perhaps all of the briars that I have are of poor quality and I need to buy something expensive. All my pipes are well taken care of and I know about drying my tobacco and all of the other typical newbie mistakes. What is the best bang for my buck other than cobs?
Thanks

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Mike:
First off, welcome to the forums.
What brands did you pick up on the Bay? I've smoked my share of basket pipes, Medicos and Willards and while they'll deliver the nicotine you'll rarely find one that really delivers the whole package of pipe smoking pleasure.
I do believe you get what you pay for but forty or fifty years ago many of the over the counter pipes sold in the U.S. were every bit as good as the imported burners. I've got a Dr. Grabow coupon pipe that smokes every bit as well as my pricier Dunhill, GBDs, Ben Wades, Comoys and Savinellis. Most of my pipes are estate finds and there's an adventure in and of itself.
Like Roth said, "The trick is knowing what to look for, knowing all about it, and then having the good fortune to find it, from a reputable vendor, in fine condition and at the correct price."
Fnord

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Hit the antique malls and don't be shy in asking the workers if they know of any pipes in the store. My last 2 or 3 pipes were from antique malls and I got great deals. Still, must know what you are looking for because the vast majority are burned out old drug store pipes. Look them up on google, ebay, whatever before you buy if you are not sure. Good luck.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
thank you metarzan and rothnh
@fnord here is the inventory (sorry the pix are terrible):
-Davill - made in France

IMG_2059_zpsef115fb7.jpg

-Real Briar - Italy

IMG_2060_zpsf57365c5.jpg

-Super Woodsman

IMG_2061_zpsb4aac698.jpg

-Frank Midico - Real Briar

IMG_2062_zps780d9f7a.jpg

-bewlay twenty London made (one of the best smokers)

IMG_2063_zpsfd5f5705.jpg

Real Briar - Italy

IMG_2064_zps24e71d98.jpg

-Orlik Captain Made in England (obviously the favorite of the former master based on the ridiculous amount of cake it came with, this was a labor of love, smokes ok)

IMG_2065_zps88ff8bf9.jpg

Imported briar is on the smaller nothing on the larger

IMG_2066_zps83f8841f.jpg

Real Briar

IMG_2068_zps52178413.jpg

Medico Imported Briar - I replaced the stem

IMG_2069_zps7106424b.jpg

Webco Delux

IMG_2070_zpsc99764e1.jpg

Clubman London made

IMG_2072_zps496292c1.jpg

044 Imported Briar

IMG_2073_zps3c8210a4.jpg

Italy (nothing else)

IMG_2074_zpsb8efdf5c.jpg

3 pipes marked "calabresi italian briar" - bought new at the local B&M

IMG_2058_zpsbda3a53d.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsb44506e3.jpg

the culprit

8461f4dfaffb791cf00567b61071448d_zps9802a654.jpg

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Don't sell your cob short. They are an excellent smoker in general. No fussing around. No gurgles, no worries about teeth marks or charring the rim. They're what I smoke 90% of the time.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I've only got one cob, but it is my best smoker. I paid ten bucks for it, and it smokes better than my Big Ben($91.00).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, I would recommend looking for well cared for Upshalls, Savinelli Autographs, Mastro De Paja's, older Caminetto's, Radice's, Winslows. All of these can be had for around 100.00 and under in some cases. I would start with an Upshall and this will give you a good idea at the difference between what you have now and a high quality briar.

veganpiper

Lurker
Dec 26, 2012
Yo, i had to have me a bit o' baccy yesterday and did not have a pipe with me!!! DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT, So i ran over to my local CVS drug store and lo and behold thy had a MM right on the shelf. Don't know what model it is, but i am impressed with the pipe. Smokes well, i am surprised. I haven't smoked a cob since i first tried a pipe in 1983. I gave it up immediately, pipe smoking that is. Now it is so relaxing i can't imagine putting it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.