PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I've heard so much about corn cob pipes on this site that I thought I'd give one a go. In 30 years of piping I've never seen a corn cob in real life, so I was intrigued to see whether this cheap, humble pipe can give the amazing smoke lauded by so many devotees. I have to say it's been a revelation! I'm currently enjoying a bowl of HU Directors Cut in the MM Legend that arrived today and it's wonderful. Cool and clear, with more flavour than I've ever had from most of my expensive, carefully cared for briars. I'm a convert! I have a Country Gentleman on the way and I'm just about to order a couple of Forever Stems from Walkers; I'm a clencher so I love the give in the plastic stem, but I know I need something more sturdy and the tortoiseshell look is great. Just one more thing I've learned from the crew on PM.com! Thank you!
Andy

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Cobs are great! I keep a few in my rotation and they are excellent work/outdoor pipes. You can go bowl after bowl in a cob and not really have to worry about damaging it since they're so easily replaceable. The MM Diplomats are also very good. They have a wide bowl that IMO smokes aros and VAs particularly well.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've started walking at lunchtime, which gives me enough time to walk a couple of miles around the neighborhood. After learning the term "lunting" (to walk or hike while smoking a pipe), I decided to give it a try, and I've found that cobs are perfect - the smaller barrel-shaped models are just about perfect for a half-hour smoke, and they clench well.

Jan 8, 2013
I am a recent convert as well Andy, I have two Diplomats now, a straight and a bent. I pretty much only smoke ODF in the straight and use the bent for aros. Cobs are great. They are affordable, durable, light, have a great draw and flavor, and you won't cry (or get castrated) if you mess one up and have to replace it. I carry both of mine with me all day to work and while running errands, etc. My brairs don't leave the house anymore, which I like, plus it gives them all plenty of time to rest while I abuse the cobs all day.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Nice, OP!
I know a couple of cob converts after years of being anti-cob. I love my cobs and they're probably my most-smoked pipes. I actually just got a MM Freehand and I actually might light that one up tonight!

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Nice post on cobs guys.You guys got me convinced.gonna order a few cobs right now.P&C here i come.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ya just can't beat a MM cob. I have four and they are all plugged in with Forever Stems (a MUST have) especially if you're a clencher. The Forever Stems can cost more than the pipe, but if the cob bites the dust you simply use the stem on your next cob.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
While you're at it, give the Old Dominion cobs a try. They have a magnificent, sweet taste, and look way cool.
ravkesef, Your spot on in your recommendation! Just got 2 OD Cobs yesterday and love them...

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
an't go wrong with a bag of MM smokable seconds- you get ten or more cobs, delivered for like 37.50-----------3.75 per cob, you can't go wrong.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yea Cobs!!! :clap:
So many desireable qualities in one pipe!
Think about how many threads we've had on cobs just in the last few months

and how 99% of what people say is positive.
Also, +11 on the OD Cobs as well ... great flavor & super cool smoking.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
While I am no convert, I was partially anti-cob when I started pipe smoking last summer. I finally gave in and bought one 5 months ago and can say that I do like them. That "cob taste" goes away after awhile though, but the one MM I own is high up in my rotation. It is a solid smoke and I will probably get another one when the new MM cob comes out in the near future.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I also have 20 or so Missouri Meerschaum cobs in my rotation, 2 over thirty years old...

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Been smoking my MM Legend doing yard work the last few days. Can't beat it - light, durable, clenchable and good-smoking. And, I can knock it out (lightly) against a tree, reload and get back to work without worrying about damage, resting and all that. I only have one (bought from a Walgreen's in tribute to CVS :nana:) but I just may get a couple more. :)

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Big fan of the Missouri Meerschaums. Especially the larger sizes...Country Gentleman, Diplomat, Great Dane, and General. The Savinelli balsa inserts work great in them. Much better than the paper filters IMHO. And, many smoke them without a filter but the draw is pretty wide open. Some use a bent one inch piece of pipe cleaner to help with this issue. But it's all good. They smoke great regardless of your choice of size or filter preference. Going to have to venture into the Old Dominion at some point and give those a try. Hearing good things on here about them.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
pipes are like women...briars are the ladies you wine and dine, cobs are the ladies with lights of red.
they both will get you where you want to go...one is just a bit less trouble.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
prndl has it. More than half my pipes are MM cobs, they fill a niche where briars don't go. I like my four Country Gentlemans. I also have four Generals and one Freehand, but they're so deep I think I'll have to get some matches, I don't see a lighter reaching down that far, because try as I might, I cannot keep a pipe lit, and have given up trying.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
Purplemotoman - Love that black cob; I want one.
I got a cob from Davidoff a few weeks ago and I really love it.
I was getting a strange pleasure from chewing the stem and pretending to be Huckleberry Finn...but now it just seems a bit unpleasant. I think I'm going to have to get some forever stems; I can see the advantage now.

Status
Not open for further replies.