PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Hey, guys! I wanted to take a minute to show off this super-slick corn cob tamper that Ed "ejames" James made for me.
IMG_7150.JPG

I'm not sure if Ed would have made it if he had known how much extra work it was going to take beforehand, but I'm glad that he did. My poor, beat-up cobs are almost embarrassed to be seen with it since it outclasses them so much.
Thanks again, Ed!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're welcome ! You can also use that tamper to give those beat up briars and meers you have a little class! :lol:

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
You're welcome ! You can also use that tamper to give those beat up briars and meers you have a little class!

Well now, we don't want to make the tamper look bad do we?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a very sweet looking tamper and a great accent to the cobs. Well done. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That looks great! :clap:
I love my Cob tamper but it is unfinished and cut to a 45 degree on one end:
odcob1-600x337.jpg

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Who would have thought that a cob tamper would be so handsome. I'm wondering if the finish on the the tamper would be safe and effective on a cob pipe? Gorgeous.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Who would have thought that a cob tamper would be so handsome. I'm wondering if the finish on the the tamper would be safe and effective on a cob pipe? Gorgeous.
Yeah it looks like it was dipped in Varathane .

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Not really, Brass. As Ed can attest, cobs are ultra porous and the finishing material soaks in deep. So, you'd definitely end up with some in the chamber.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah it looks like it was dipped in Varathane .
That tamper was finished with multiple coats of CA glue, a trick I picked up from pen makers on Youtube. It was applied with the cob spinning in the lathe,sanding between coats. It was a PITA to do because the cob is not straight and tended to wobble as it spun. The cob was soaked in MinWax Wood Hardener before finishing and drilled 7MM for the brass tube that was inserted to strengthen it.The tip was machined to fit inside that tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.