PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I like to smoke out of cobs but, I think their stems are not comfortable. With the knowledge that my cob will burn out eventually and need to be replaced, are there any after market stems that fit into cobs that I can swap out with my new bowls?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What makes you think your cob Will burn out? Have you not seen fishnbanjos recent threads? I like to get my acrylic stems from Vermont freehand. I also like the danish bits from corncobpipe.com
They are more comfortable, last longer, and are less than a dollar a piece.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have cobs nearly twenty years old, and are good as new. Take care of them, and they'll last for decades.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Thanks guys. I was not aware of fishnbanjos thread, its good to know aftermarket stems exist and DAMN! A twenty year old cob? whoa!

I had read they burned out eventually but, if they are known to have a significant lifespan if taken care of, I might as well pick up a stem I enjoy because i sure do like my cobs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you have one cob, smoke it continuously day after day, it'll fail on you. Treat it right and it'll probably out last you. Fishbanjo has a couple of pipes in his rotation I believe and does not abuse any of them. Hell, he's smoking a different pipe in each picture!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
We should probably define "cobs". If you are talking about a cheap Chinese made cob that you buy at the gas station for $1.00 then yes it'll probably burn out on the way home. Get a MM cob and it'll last a very long time.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
With replacement stems sold on MM site for less than a dollar .... :)
What it comes for burning out a cob pipe, I am with the gang here - having good number of years on a cob is a common thing.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
Or move uptown.
tradition_ish_country_gentleman.jpg

http://www.dgehandmadepipes.com/product/tradition-ish-country-gentleman-corncob-pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.