PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I have a corn cob where the tenon no longer fits in the hole of the pipe. The stem slides out very easily. I was wondering is there a way to salvage the stem or should I look into getting a replacement stem?
Thanks!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
hmmmmmmmm...
Beeswax has been used to help with loose and tight stems.
Nail polish I heard has been used in multiple thin coats on the stem to make it fit better.
Otherwise I'd just buy a new cob.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Order up a "Danish" type stem from MM for less than $1 and you'll be good to go. I prefer the Danish stems over the others.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Depending on how beat up the cob is, you could get a forever stem from walker briar works. Or you could just add a replacement stem to your next order, they're less then $1.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Hey yadan!
Did the tape and it's working just fine. Goo alternative until I buy a new stem.
Thanks everyone for the input. :mrgreen:

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
....and don't take it apart while its still warm(just incase you didn't know)

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I just got my forever stems in the mail yesterday. I had 2 brand new cobs and I replaced them. I'm becoming a Cob Snob if such a thing exists.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I just got my forever stems in the mail yesterday. I had 2 brand new cobs and I replaced them. I'm becoming a Cob Snob if such a thing exists.
Welcome my Friend zonomo
image003_zps4c0fbc2c.png

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I for one was one of those people in the beginning that didn't like cobs because I felt they were too "country looking." :lol:
Now I am really appreciating them. They go a long way with little maintenance!

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I had the same problem with a brand new cob, bowl fell off the stem while smoking. I let the pipe and stem cool completely then heated up the stem with hot water and inserted a tapered chop stick into the tennis to make it a little wider. Let it cool with the stick in it pulled it out and had a great fit between the stem and the shank

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just bought two new standard MM stems from smokingpipes.com for 64cents each, one for a filter pipe,

and the other for unfiltered. I decided to go from regular black stems to "amber." I thought the different

formulation for the color might last longer; I'll see. I saved the old stems, including one with a softie, just

as a back-up, since they are tiny and take up no room. I have the idea of getting a real vulcanite stem at

some point. Cobs are great brand new, but even better when well-used. They burn out sooner than briars,

but can last a long, long time, especially for us PAD sufferers.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
You can also buy stems from corconpipes from the bay, I have several of his stems and love them

Status
Not open for further replies.