PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has ever removed the whistle pipe spout that protrudes inside (and incidentally) from a Missouri corn pipe

This thorn is rather unpleasant because pine wood and burning at each end of pipe with a pungent taste that requires emptying disaster.

And moreover not practical to "consolidate" the bottom.

I saw a US video where the guy tinkers and cuts it almost flush with the stove with a mini gouge,

it's delicate and I'm afraid that it weakens the fixing of the pipe, although on another more rustic brand "Olddominition" it barely exceeds inside ...

Thank you

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It is not pine wood. (ash?...that would be appropriate)

Many of my well used cobbs still have that protrusion. The wood will cure to a degree.

Cleaning out a cob that has a pith bottom can be delicate if the pipe is freshly smoked.

Moisture will weaken the pith, but when dry it's fine.

The wooden inserted cobbs are good to go. I use the pick on my check tool to get it all out.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
just got my first cob a few days ago. The wood extension from the stem is definitely an eye sore, but i didn't have any problem smoking them just as is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I'm too primitive a taster, but I've never had any complaint with MM cob flavor. If it is there, I breeze past it and dive right into the flavor of the blend. MM cobs work for me from bowl one on into the decades. Mmmm-mmmm good. Still, if it bothers you and you can fix it, that's what to do. Maybe I'm just way too easy to please.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I find the first bowl on a cob pretty nasty. There's still a little varnish in there and the cob is charring. It improves a lot on the second bowl and is gone in 4-5 bowls.
As far as the stem goes, as soon as you taste it set the pipe down instead of emptying in the hopes of it smoldering some more. Once a lot of it is gone I'll get some honey, sugar water, or spit :) along the sides of what's left. Then on the next bowl or two I'll put my thumb on top and shake up the ashes once it's spent to encourage cake and also some pipe mud in those areas. I do it on the bottom too.
Look up "mudding a cob" and/or "pipe mud".

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
The burning wood taste will go away after the first half dozen bowls, and if you're smoking a cob without the hardwood plug, the extended shank is effectively adding to or reinforcing the bottom of the bowl. As you smoke the pipe, the excess wood will burn away and what's left will char over and no longer give that burning taste near the end of the smoke. Over time, dottle and ash will fill in the gaps around the shank-in-the-bowl, gradually evening out the bottom of the bowl. As Dave mentions, you can tinker with this a bit if you're so inclined, but it will take care of itself 95% of the time.
I had one Legend where the shank was burning back but the bottom of the bowl wasn't filling in, creating an abscess. Maybe it was drilled a little high, or maybe it was something else. In any case, I made a little pipe mud from cigar ash, and that took care of it. The pipe has a smooth bottom and it smokes like a champ.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Many of my well used cobbs still have that protrusion. The wood will cure to a degree.
Just don't smoke the first few bowls far enough down to char the wood. Once it soots up it won't burn as easily, much like a briar. I've smoke many bowls through a cob without charring the bottom of the chamber.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have few MM corn cob pipes and I removed the 'whistle pipe spout' only from my Country Gentleman and filled the bottom of the bowl with some pipe mud. Now, please be informed that filling your pipe with a pipe mud will slightly increase the weight of your pipe.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Just don't smoke the first few bowls far enough down to char the wood. Once it soots up it won't burn as easily, much like a briar. I've smoke many bowls through a cob without charring the bottom of the chamber
Interesting. I've noticed that some of the stems don't burn up as completely. That makes a lot of sense. I'll play with that.
As has been said, all you really have to do is smoke 'em. When I first started smoking cobs I tinkered with the bowl and stem even more. Burn and carve out the stem, make mud, build cake, yadda. Now I just kind of pay attention to things a little till they're broken in.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I'm going to make a mix of all this, let the whistle burn and put some cigar ash in the bottom, I already started by putting some honey in the bottom so that it sticks well.

It's a Country Gentleman too, I do not want to weigh it too much.
(I'm cautious because here in France we are not on the job, we have to bring it from the USA the pipe of Popeye! :puffy:)

Thank you

P

pipebuddy

Country Gentleman Cobs are now fitted with hardwood inserts. It has been so for a good 4 years, I reckon.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Country Gentleman Cobs are now fitted with hardwood inserts. It has been so for a good 4 years, I reckon.
True, I bought mine in 2015 and it had hardwood insert. I didn't fill it with the pipe mud because of the need of a more reliable bottom, but because of the reason below.
After removing the extension of the shank, you will be facing a problem.
Iq5HG9C.jpg

As you see, there is a small space revealed after the removal of shank extension. Tobacco filling that space won't be burning, by filling that space with a pipe mud you will be eliminating that problem.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Yes, I have the same, I left the beak and in the end it's perfect it is embedded in the carbon and no longer burns! As in the bottom of a briar pipe. :clap:

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.