PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
I wanted to post a thread on the love and admiration that exists for the trusty , never let you down, Corn Cob pipe .

I received my 3rd Cob pipe today and as expected, it smokes like a champ . I noticed this particular one on amazon the other day and I had to order it as I love it’s darker stain and slightly larger bowl.
Now if you are new to pipes and are unsure what to get for your first pipe , you really can’t go wrong with a Cob pipe . Having said that , if you have been smoking pipes for a long time , you still can’t go wrong with a Cob pipe, as I am sure many here will attest to .
How many Cobs do you have and do you still smoke them from time to time ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I usually have six or so around. I buy full, point of sale displays at the local drugstore or tobacconists. I consider them inexpensive, disposable smokes. They get run over by the tractor, dropped in the lake when fishing, forgotten in the woods while out shooting, go missing in my shop, etc. And, yes they are adequate smokers, in my opinion. A good pipe never lets one down. The smoker is usually the culprit when a trusted pipe delivers less than expected with a known blend.
It's all what floats your boat when it comes to the selection of a pipe.
I

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Yes, given their very friendly price point they do make the perfect travel or work pipe :)

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I’m a fan and have about 5 cobs that are regulars in my rotation. My wife bought me a nice stained one for Christmas that smokes like dream and has saw heavy duty over the holidays.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have seven from the MM bag of smokeable seconds that get used all the time, plus a Dagner Poker, Charles Towne Cobbler and a Carolina Gent I just picked up this week, and I also added a Washington Rob Roy to a SP's order and expect it tomorrow. In addition, I bought a Virginia Planter from Old Dominion that smokes fantastically with a reed stem. No matter how expensive a pipe I own, I'll always have cobs around as they smoke so well 100% of the time. They can be thrown and tossed around with never a care and take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I re-started my pipe collection about a year ago, and I have 2 briars (a Pete and a basket) and 8 cobs. I smoke the Pete regularly, and I'm using the basket pipe for Lakelands. A friend gave me a MM Eaton last, and I was so impressed with its functionality that I started smoking again.

When I smoked a pipe in the late 90s/early 2000s, I only had briars and was unaware that cobs were a viable option. I love briars and plan to buy more, but MM cobs are so cheap and provide such a good smoke that I've been buying more of them instead of a couple briars. I'm pretty sure my Carolina Gent, Charles Towne Cobbler, and Country Gentleman, which have the most substantial bowls, will last as long as I do if given a little care.

No required break-in period in another plus, although my Little Devil Acorn benefited from a short break-in because its short length and thinner walls made it smoke a little hot for me out of the box.

Many MM cobs are easy on the eyes in a rustic sort of way. All three of the above-mentioned pipes have acrylic stems, which fixes my only minor gripe concerning MM's usual plastic ones, and makes for a pipe that you might think is a nice briar if you're wearing a blindfold. The CG has a Forever Stems mini-churchwarden, and it's the coolest smoking pipe I've ever owned.

I've enjoyed sanding, staining, and waxing several of my cobs, which is a cheap and fun way to practice restoring pipe finishes (I've done some briars with good results because of this) and makes them look a little fancier.

Cobs have been a game-changer for me and I'm a big fan.

sonnyblack

Lurker
Oct 8, 2018
I've got about a dozen. I bought my first MM to smoke on the river while fly fishing in case I dropped it in the water, but then got the bug. Now I've got two MM Dagners, a Carolina Gent, a couple of Diplomats, some vintage Phoenix cobs, etc. They are great outdoor pipes as Warren states above and they do smoke well. Definitely can't go wrong with a good cob.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The only corncob pipes I own are Dagner Pokers. I just can't bring myself to smoke other cobs.
I mean really, don't you think smoking a cob makes you look like you're going to a family reunion to pick up dates?

• Haha
Reactions: radrick96

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I own 50 MM corn cob pipes and smoke each and every one. Each one gets smoked once and then back on the rack after each smoke. Smoking them that way they'll last a lifetime. Of course I'm 71 yrs old so "last a lifetime" is maybe not the best term.

Reactions: Kratsmoose

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have 5 of them, one of which is the MM 2018 Reverse Calabash Special Edition. That said, I'n NOT a fan. They're decent for what they are and cost, but they also look too damn rustic and I'm not proud to be seen smoking them (since I'm nevertheless proud of being a smoker in the current anti-smoking mileu, I guess that kinda balances out, though).
My biggest pet peeve, though, is that their bottoms are extremely hard to clean. A briar bowl, with its semi-spherical geometry can be easily wiped with a paper towel; not so a cob, where I must use a Q-tip, an unbent paper clip and compressed air, and still...
I don't really want to buy any more cobs. 5 is more than enough.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've actually gotten more complements on my cobs than my briars. Some people enjoy seeing the cobs being smoked. Being born and raised in the country here in NC, I feel like it'd be a shame not to own a few cobs. I wear my bin overalls while I smoke them too! Appearances mean nothing to me as I'm smoking them for me.
I don't really clean out the bottom, but just more of knock it out. The collected bits that get down in there helps to fill in those little nooks and crannies around the shank.
Some folks love them, some don't, count me in the love them camp!

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I own quite a few but smoke about 8 of them.

I do enjoy them the most while reading threads about the $500+ wood ones people buy!

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Anthony is hillarious

Carolinachurchwarden - I just bought a Virginia Planter from Old Dominion, looking forward to trying it out. (we're in the same city - ever go to George's?)
Cobs for me have been a love hate thing - I had 4 or 5 and sold the whole lot on eBay with forever stems and all & swore them off as crap and I would never smoke one again. (MM CG, Cobbit Elf, Cobbit dwarf, and a few whatevers - I missed the Dwarf the most). Yes - I am extreme at times.
Yet now I have a MM Mark Twain, a Cobbit Shire and the just received Virginia Planter. So I guess I don't hate them after all. I might reach for a cob 15% of the time. I hate the stems on the cheap ones, the Shire has a nickel band and a stem as nice as a lot of briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.