PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Do I need to fill the gaps below the stem in the bowl? I have some tobacco already stuck in the gaps I cant get out. Should I fill this in with honey and ash?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If it were me, and the cob has already been smoked, I'd just continue smoking and not worry about it. I would however, take measures on a new cob if I am so inclined. It all depends. Cobs usually straighten themselves out after a dozen or so smokes. At least in my experience anyway.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm with Chris on this. Really; how much work do you want to put into a cob? They're practically indestructible. As for the stuff at the bottom. Use your pipe pick or a pipe cleaner to flick it out and smoke away. It'll alll be fine in time.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I had this same concern when I first used a cob but soon realized that the corn cob pipe isn't considered the easiest pipe to smoke and care for for nothing. Just pack it up and let your enjoyment do the work. I have noticed in mine that it has filled with ash or maybe even cake when I scrape it out (since your not supposed to allow cake build up in a cob)
Don't over think it when it comes to cobs IMO

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Kinda what I was starting to lean towards. Its the only pipe at the moment, no chance for it to have a full day to dry much less a week.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I just use some ash from the fireplace, mix it with water and throw it into the gap when I see this. Picking out the bits with a pick is just annoying. A really good tip is to put a pipe cleaner in the stem folded over before doing this and then tapping down with a tamper to even it right on top of that. It creates a new bottom with draft hole and by far is the quickest and easiest method of applying pipe mud I have figured out.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
very helpful, I was wondering how much I would end up having to remove from the airway. lol
It will stay as it is until I have a couple more cobs.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Some can end up in the airway, that's why I keep a pipe cleaner doubled over in it to prevent this. I'll actually fill it over the pipe cleaner, and then turn it in circles to make a channel on the new bottom of the pipe that ends halfway down it, to resemble what you would see in a briar pipe. Mixing it in a sandwich baggie, cutting off a corner and then squeezing it out of that will give you a semi-accurate way to extract it into the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.