PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhhw

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
It's exciting to be here, never expect another active discussion board other than alt.smokers.pipes.
Call me hhw, I'm from China, a corncob fan, with the famous guide - corncob primer, I've used MM cobs for more than 10 years.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Hi, welcome aboard. I'd be curious to know what the smoking climate in China is. Can you buy tobacco openly there or is it discouraged like in most Western countries?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm smoking a MM cob right now.
Welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mrhhw, welcome aboard. I too am a fan of Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes. I especially like the ones that come with an acrylic stem instead of the softer plastic. They cost a little more, but the stems are more permanent. I've just smoked my Charlie Townes bent MM cob and my Dagner poker nose-warmer. I mostly have briar pipes, and a Forums member just sent me my first Meerschaum. I'd be interested to know what tobaccos are available to you, and where in China you are. Best wishes, and again, welcome.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! I am also now smoking my Missouri Meerschaum, this one a Charles Towne which I use for English blends. I have a MM Country Gentlemen fitted with an acrylic Forever Stems that I use for Viginias and VaPers.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Hi, welcome from NY. You ever try those $100 packs of cigs they make in your country? The smoking culture of China I find very interesting..

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Welcome aboard.
I smoked two cobs at the same time the other day to test a blend. I was reminded that Cobs can be enjoyable!

XvXMu3m.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum! 欢迎!
Always good to see international members on here to give some perspective. What is the pipe smoking community like in China?
As always, have fun here and ask as many questions as you like.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hello HHW - welcome to the forums.
What kind of pipe tobacco can you get in China? Do you have to import it all from Western countries or is there a selection of foreign or domestic brands?

mrhhw

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
What a surprise to see so many posts with greetings, aha!
Although I was in China, I have to purchase favorites pipe tobaccos from Smokingpipes, or 4noggins, from time to time, with smaller packages. My all day smoking tobacco was five brothers, as you know, pure burley with higher nicotine.
I can enjoy my smoking outside of workshop, or in my own house. I don't smoking cigarettes or RYO, as well as cigar. Someone sent me some cigars as gifts, basically I'll separate the leaves to make some kind of own blends.
In China, basically all public areas with a ceiling are prohibited for smoking, so basically I was a "non-smoker" in front of the people. :)
Thanks again for the welcoming, I'd like to learn more from you, friends.

mrhhw

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
seacaptain: Silimar here, esp in urban cities. I bought nice blends online, as well as making some own blend for years.
mso489: Yes, I have to replace the acrylic stem when I had broken the original one, always...
3rdguy: Not at all, I don't think my English is fluent as not my "mother language". lol...
nitemair13: Most of the local smoker here won't use a pipe for many decades, even for those traditional iron bowl pipe smokers, they simple inhaleto lung like cigarettes habit. Baccies here mostly toasted or tanned plain virginia, some experienced old guys may mixed it with wine and honey for aging.
techie: Nice choice. I'm smoking C&D Bayou morning in a country gentleme now.
eggrollpiper: No. I'm not a cigarette smoker for decades, I'm a "non-smoker" in public. ;)
npod: Nice cobs, as well as nice Virginia Dark Flake. lol.
mikethompson: There's a famous forum in China, with more than 50K membersm, but most posts in Chinese. (pipevillage.org)
simenon: There are some aromatic pipe tobaccos in China, sth like Great Wall, the brand, however that's not my favo, so I preferred to purchase online.
woodsroad: I'm living in a famous Chinese traditional city - Suzhou (Soo Chew), 80 KM away from Shanghai, with a 2500 years fixed city facilities still working, and a morden urban called Suzhou Industrial Park, former named "Sino-Singapore Industrial Park" :). From time to time, I may live in Singapore or Calgary for months.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome aboard. I used to live in South Korea, had many Chinese friends there. I remember them smoking Chinese cigarettes which were really strong for me. I visited Shanghai for an exhibition few years ago, such a dynamic city.

Status
Not open for further replies.