PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This isn't a bash on corn cobs. I recently bought a Missouri Meerschaum to throw in the car or a bag and am just curious does it take a while before your tobacco stops tasting like crap.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Did you buy a Cob or is it a hardwood? If is a hardwood you may want to take some sandpaper to the inside of the bowl to remove the outer bowl finish. If it is a Cob it might be the tobacco. I've never had a Cob taste like crap when new.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some blends go great with cobs right off the bat, some of the old burley OTC's and others. On the other hand, some people taste the cob more than others, so there's that. Once you get a carbon coating in the bowl from smoking, I think you can smoke any blend, or most people can. Great break-in blends might be Carter Hall, PC Log Cabin, Prince Andrew, or your favorite homespun aromatic.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The part of the shank that extends into the bowl is going to burn. It lends an unpleasant taste to the tobacco. If you tough it out, it will be charred in about 10-12 bowl at most. Some people disassemble the pipe, cut it off, and reattached with a little elders glue. Me, I just smoke 'em down.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Sounds good, I half way expected to only use cheap tobacco with it anyways. It's like a just ate a bag a popcorn, threw a few unpopped kernels in my mouth and sucked on them while smoking a pipe.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yeah same for me. So I rarely smoke my cobs. I get that right from the first light so it's not the shank extending into the bowl that's giving it that flavor.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
All my cobs smoked great fresh EXCEPT the last one which was a Country Gentleman. it was like the cob was not fully cured and the stain on the inside was rank. I now break difficult pipes in with a SG rope or Sutliff Frosty Mint that stuff covers over any smell haha.

Dec 28, 2015
I personally love the taste of a first bowl smoked in a cob. But I don't get a burnt popcorn taste only a slightly sweetened tobacco taste. But I guess everyone is different. Cobs just may not be your thing. That's ok though. Plenty of other things out there. And at least you didn't waste much money on it.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I've never had a new cob taste "bad" to me. However I Have had a few that exhibited what I usually call "new cob taste" which stands out like a big sore thumb and can overpower the tobacco sometimes. I guess some might call it "bad".
Usually goes away in half a dozen bowls or so for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Cosmic... You said you smoke Carter Hall in your Cobs, because you don't want to waste your "GOOD" tobacco in a "HORRID TASTING PIPE"...
Those are fighting words my friend...

:evil:
:crazy:
:puffpipe:

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
With the hardwood bowls they are dipped into the finish. There is no plug in the bowl. So the finish gets inside. The sandpaper will remove the unwanted finish form the inter Chamber. There may be a little bit remaining that will burn off in a couple of bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.