PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
Currently being unemployed but wanting to get another pipe I am going to go cheap and just pick up a corn cob..
Is there anything for tobacco that do not smoke well in a cob or does everything go well with a cob.
I currently smoke just aromatics but want to try some other tobaccos and for that I want to get a couple cobs to handle my new ventures.
So is there any type tobacco that you would not smoke in a cob.. Or is it open to go with anything in cob..
Thanks

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Must be awfully cold and desolate in MN these days, eh Mike?

I've read that you enjoy a cigar from time to time. (as to the cobs, I'm pretty sure you already know all the anweres)

I'd like to suggest to you that you try mixing in some cigar leaf with some of your current blends. Not a bunch, but like a seasoning. Cut off part of a cigar and rub it out and mix it in with something and smoke it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Do you still have your Nording and Savinelli pipes? How's that cob holding up?

Are your lungs clot free these days? I sure hope so!

Congratulations on being a member here for a year, too!

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I smoke mostly cobs, and smoke a variety of tobaccos. Everything tastes great in a cob!! I love OTCs like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh and they taste awesome in a cob!

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
+1 to Jud's recommendation for MM cobs. If you choose English blends, dedicate that cob to those blends. Other than that, smoke away, cobs are bullet proof pipes. I do recommend upgrading the stems, but in the short run, they are fine. Search eBay for cob upgrades.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Having about fifty pipes now, and having tried many tobaccos this takes me back to the beginning, corn cob, notebook and a pouch of balkan flake,

sitting in the spring sunshine. Thanks for that.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Last year cobs were my go to pipes. I smoked everything in 'em with no rhyme or reason. They all smoked and tasted great. Now keep in mind I do not have a connoisseurs palate, if you do you may notice cross contamination and muted flavors.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I don't think light English blends smoke well in a cob, might be on my own on that one. I think they smoke VaPer, Va and burley blends brilliantly

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm an aro smoker too, and I use Lane 1Q. I know that a lot of people use Carter Hall to break in their pipes.
Save up and invest in a Forever stem. You can interchange them between your MMs as long as you buy the same type - filtered or unfiltered. You'll find that most of us own at least one MM, don't go cheap an buy Chinese, there is no comparison.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I agree with plateauguy stay away from Chinese cobs. Only time I ever had a Cob catch fire was a a Chinese cob i got in a Pipe Tobacco of the month mailing now they go directly from the box to the trash can. MM's are already so cheap and only a couple bucks more to bother with the Chinese ones.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big fan of corn cobs, and I probably smoke cobs more often than briar. To answer your question, I've never been a big fan of Latakia blends in a cob. Other than that, they are arguably the best match for burley, and excellent for Virginias, VaPers, and aromatics.
(As a side note, I love the pairing of pear wood and Virginia blends. So if you're on a budget, try out that combo and rejoice.)
I would also add my "+1" for Foreverstems, and agree with the advice regarding Chinese cobs - don't waste your time. (This advice against Chinese goods generally applies to anything you plan on putting in your mouth.)

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
You can smoke anything in a cob. You can get an MM hardwood for about the same amount, they are great too.
My dad always went from cig. to pipe during our tight times when I was a kid. There where more than a few.
The pipe saved him a lot of money better spent on family needs.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cobs inbolden even the lowest grade of tobacco due to their superior smokability.
Try an inexpensive blend and prove this for yourself.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Smoke that sucker till it falls apart, throw it away and fire up a new one. They have a couple new shapes now also which offer greater capacity. Don't be afraid to try your Englishes in them...might just work out well for you. Enjoy friend!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Another huge cob fanboy and advocate but most of my cob smoking is done outdoors and in the warmer months. I also agree that anything smokes good in one but I love smoking VA's, VaPer's and VaBer's in one the most. Maybe it's my chemistry or just my taste buds those types seem to really blossom with flavor and sweetness in my cobs.

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for all the great replies... I have a cob coming soon. Bought the Patriot to get started with.
I do have an older cob I bought off here. This cob had a forever stem, blue marble which adds allot of character to the pipe. The pipe was well used and had Bern will used since I got it but it was already seasoned with who knows what type tobacco before I got it.
Again I appreciate reading everything that you all had to say..
Thanks

Mike

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
@Newbroom... It is child as hedoubletoothpicks here in MN.. Yep still have the w pipe as well as a couple other beauties that I picked up.
I do like the cob I bought but I want to get s couple brand new ones to bro in on my own.
That's why I asked the question on what smoke best in a cob. Right now I am smoking Black Swan through it and truly enjoy smoking out of it. Plus the Black Swan currently is my favorite tobacco to smoke. Totally fell in love with this stuff. Even tops Molte Dolce which is another tremendous smoke and put it almost everyday...
But if you are a aromatic smoker you have to try the Sutliff Black Swan. I just wish I could get it in bulk!!!!
Again thanks to all for your words of wisdom...

Status
Not open for further replies.