Corn, Cherry, Briar -- a Test

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by 4dotsasieni
  • Latest reply from flyguy
  1. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just for fun, I decided to do a little taste test using combinations of pipe materials and tobaccos that had been suggested in this forum and elsewhere.

First off, a cherrywood pipe and MacBaren's 7 Seas Royal (I think this had been suggested on one of the sponsors' web sites). Not bad, nice aroma, smoked very wet, though, and hard to keep lit.

Then, a corncob and Lane's 1Q. Much easier draw than the cherry/MacBaren's; a definite taste of the corn coming through.

Finally, just for comparison, my gold standard: a Peterson System briar and Peterson Sunset Breeze. What a difference! No contest; this had the best taste, aroma and smokeability (is that a word??)by far. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but it was fun doing the test anyway.

Has anyone else done similar comparisons? It's fun & educational!

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What were you comparing? 3 completely different pipes or 3 completely different tobaccos. I am unsure what the point of this comparison was????

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not meant as a serious review - completely subjective. 3 pipes, 3 materials, 3 tobaccos -- and the point was to have some fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea well I for one think your review was incorrect. The winner should've been 5 brothers in a clay...Start over

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

waymon

Login to Send PM

Hmm I think you should have smoked all three tobaccos in all three pipes. You would have more to compare and more fun!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Smoking a pipe tobacco very wet is not only unfair for the blend, it significantly impairs the puffer's smoking experience.

Mac Baren's tobaccos, fresh out of the tin, are almost all very moist. I've smoked quite a bit of Lanes' 1Q and, while some as a bit moist, almost all if it is ready to smoke when received. No idea about Peterson's Sunset Breeze, but I'm betting, being an tinned and cased aromatic, it requires to dry a while before smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea well I for one think your review was incorrect. The winner should've been 5 brothers in a clay...Start over

Chris surely you jest, you have it all wrong the obvious winner would be CH in a cob. JMHO

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've run similar tests, using the scientific method of running controls, with light virginias and English, using the substrates of briar, olivewood, morta, cob and meerschaum. I have a couple of Ropp cherrywoods that I haven't put to the task yet.

I have the impression that heavier flavors, especially Latbombs and aromatics, tend to drown out the effect of the pipe material.

I'm also trying to tune in my palate by puffing several blends in stacks, pots, Dublins and oval bowls in addition to the usual shaped chambers.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, it wasn't time wasted, regardless. You went through 3 different tobaccos, with 3 different pipes....can only consider that time well spent

Incidentally, I've tested new cobs against new-ish briar with the same blends....no comparison, the cobs always smoked infinitely better. I have some outstanding wood, many that smoke near on as good as cob, but none that'll beat it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what the "Test" was for either. I agree that you should have smoked all three tobacco's in each of the 3 pipes and then you would have had an actual "Test" and a lot more fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Try some crack out of a glass pipe, then smoke each blend out of each pipe. Make sure you write a review when you are all tweaked out. Maybe you'll get better comments out of venturer that way. Ha!

I don't see the "comparison" either, but what the heck.... happy smoking!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry if my comments were taken in a bad way, I was just a bit confused as to what the actual "test" was.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

There could have been hundreds of choices to choose from, he chose those 3. Although not a real comparison test I'm sure it was fun, congrats.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

as I understand it, the test was just another excuse to smoke some tobacco. Bravo! Test away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey mate, any test at all, that involves a pipe and baccy, is time well spent. Now just to make sure the results were accurate, do it again.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Yea well I for one think your review was incorrect. The winner should've been 5 brothers in a clay...Start over

Chris surely you jest, you have it all wrong the obvious winner would be CH in a cob"

Which do you think would be a better vehicle for a truly objective test of different tobaccos -- a clay or a cob?

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"Which do you think would be a better vehicle for a truly objective test of different tobaccos -- a clay or a cob?"

Neither. A Falcon is by far the best for such a test - or for that matter, any pipe smoking experience!

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey mate, any test at all, that involves a pipe and baccy, is time well spent. Now just to make sure the results were accurate, do it again.

+1

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   checotah, n240sxguy, danielplainview, elpfeife, antbauers, crimsonrat