PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Just for fun, I decided to do a little taste test using combinations of pipe materials and tobaccos that had been suggested in this forum and elsewhere.
First off, a cherrywood pipe and MacBaren's 7 Seas Royal (I think this had been suggested on one of the sponsors' web sites). Not bad, nice aroma, smoked very wet, though, and hard to keep lit.
Then, a corncob and Lane's 1Q. Much easier draw than the cherry/MacBaren's; a definite taste of the corn coming through.
Finally, just for comparison, my gold standard: a Peterson System briar and Peterson Sunset Breeze. What a difference! No contest; this had the best taste, aroma and smokeability (is that a word??)by far. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but it was fun doing the test anyway.
Has anyone else done similar comparisons? It's fun & educational! :D

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
What were you comparing? 3 completely different pipes or 3 completely different tobaccos. I am unsure what the point of this comparison was???? :roll:

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Not meant as a serious review - completely subjective. 3 pipes, 3 materials, 3 tobaccos -- and the point was to have some fun.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Yea well I for one think your review was incorrect. The winner should've been 5 brothers in a clay...Start over

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
Hmm I think you should have smoked all three tobaccos in all three pipes. You would have more to compare and more fun!!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Yea well I for one think your review was incorrect. The winner should've been 5 brothers in a clay...Start over
Chris surely you jest, you have it all wrong the obvious winner would be CH in a cob. JMHO
:rofl:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I've run similar tests, using the scientific method of running controls, with light virginias and English, using the substrates of briar, olivewood, morta, cob and meerschaum. I have a couple of Ropp cherrywoods that I haven't put to the task yet.
I have the impression that heavier flavors, especially Latbombs and aromatics, tend to drown out the effect of the pipe material.
I'm also trying to tune in my palate by puffing several blends in stacks, pots, Dublins and oval bowls in addition to the usual shaped chambers.
hp

les

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm not sure what the "Test" was for either. I agree that you should have smoked all three tobacco's in each of the 3 pipes and then you would have had an actual "Test" and a lot more fun.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Try some crack out of a glass pipe, then smoke each blend out of each pipe. Make sure you write a review when you are all tweaked out. Maybe you'll get better comments out of venturer that way. Ha!
I don't see the "comparison" either, but what the heck.... happy smoking!

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
There could have been hundreds of choices to choose from, he chose those 3. Although not a real comparison test I'm sure it was fun, congrats.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"Yea well I for one think your review was incorrect. The winner should've been 5 brothers in a clay...Start over
Chris surely you jest, you have it all wrong the obvious winner would be CH in a cob"
Which do you think would be a better vehicle for a truly objective test of different tobaccos -- a clay or a cob?

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"Which do you think would be a better vehicle for a truly objective test of different tobaccos -- a clay or a cob?"
Neither. A Falcon is by far the best for such a test - or for that matter, any pipe smoking experience! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.