Corn Burnout

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mikephillips
  • Latest reply from joshremy
  1. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How many of you guys have burned out a cob? It's never happened to me, and I've been smoking cobs as long as I've been smoking pipes. Was sitting with an almost new MM this evening, filled with brown irish twist, having as pleasant a smoke as you could imagine, just sitting in my chair with a drink watching Vegas and started getting the very slight corn/chestnut aroma you'll get with a new-ish cob and didn't think anything about it, just enjoying it. But the smell kept getting stronger this time, instead of weakening and when I looked at my cob it had a blackened spot on the outside where it was burning through.

Now I do sometimes smoke a little fast and hot, but wasn't this time, and after taking a closer look at the cob itself, there are a number of vacant spots on the outside where the kernels sat that are pretty deep, and it appears one of these spots is where it burned out.

So how many of you guys have had this happen? Like I said, never had a MM burn out before, and I've probably owne 50 or more of them over the years. I can't really complain, considering they're under $3, but it makes me wonder if I ought not to be a bit more careful when I'm picking 'em, rather than just grab a handful and head to the register.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never burned one out myself Mike, only repaired those with bottoms burned out by others.

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You know Mike, you say it's a new pipe. MM has had a hell of a time even getting cobs for pipes lately. I'm wondering if MM's QC may have dipped somewhat? However, not sure how they could tell if any particular cob is "defective"?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd certainly inspect the pipes a little beforehand.

A lot of them are drilled poorly in the best of times with huge gaps in the bottom of the pipe.

Why fix it with pipe mud when you can just pick out a normal one in the first place?

I have others were the shank is splintering inside.

Even though they are cheap, it pays to take a quick look rather than to just grab an indiscriminate handful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know Mike, you say it's a new pipe. MM had a hell of a time even getting cobs for pipes lately. I'm wondering if MM's QC may have dipped somewhat?

I don't know why I didn't consider that, Roth, but you're probably right, most likely a problem with QC. Considering the drought we've had these last 2 years in Missouri, I'm surprised there's a single cob pipe on the shelf anywhere.

And you know, now that I think about it...these 2-bit smoke shops with their grape flavored cigars and meisterbrau beer, it wouldn't surprise me if these guys bought seconds or rejects and stocked them on their shelves. I've generally paid around $3.50 for my cheaper cobs in the past, and around $6.50 for the snootier ones, these were $2.69 and I was thinking "Hey, what a deal!"...well, maybe not so much.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a cob burn out one the first smoke but I was clenching it, running it hot,and it wasn't an MM, it was some cheap chinese cob I got at the local head shop

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never burned one out, but that doesn't mean anything. As no piece of briar is alike, neither are corn cobs. So occasionally, you might get a flawed one. Thank god they are so incredibly cheap!

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. oldshacker

oldshacker

Login to Send PM

The corn cob pipe has an outstanding history and the numbers back it up. One bad one is a chance to get another new cob for me if I can't mend it. I have carved out a few cob bowls to cut a soft spots or any anomalies. It's nice to hear that you enjoy the cob as well.

When I was knee high, I thought that my late grandpa made the clouds in the sky with his cigar smoke, only to find out later it was his pipe smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The corn cob pipe has an outstanding history and the numbers back it up. One bad one is a chance to get another new cob for me if I can't mend it. I have carved out a few cob bowls to cut a soft spots or any anomalies. It's nice to hear that you enjoy the cob as well.

Enjoy? Hell, Man, I wouldn't continue pipe smoking if I couldn't have cobs. Don't get me wrong, I love my woods, but there are few things that can equal a cob. Cheap, easy to find a replacement if you break one, and smoke perfectly from the first bowl. Considering this is the first time I've ever had this happen and it cost me a whopping $3, I'm not going to let it eat at me too much

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"Enjoy? Hell, Man, I wouldn't continue pipe smoking if I couldn't have cobs. Don't get me wrong, I love my woods, but there are few things that can equal a cob."

I agree with that remark.For me, cobs are in a tie with my metals - and I enjoy them all more than my briars.
    My only problem with cobs to date are not the bowls, but the circular plastic joint connecting the stem to the bowl.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, you mentioned that these shops may be selling MM seconds, but I imagine they'd be marked as such.

The bag of seconds i purchased had "X's" on the bottoms of all of the cobs.

Otherwise people may suspect, as Roth did, that MM QC has dropped. And Im sure they dont want that.

I will smoke a cob on the way to work now! Sorry to hear ab the burnout. I will make sure to keep an eye on mine. From what I can tell, they seem pretty tough!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never had one burn out yet but it is just a matter of time.

My cobs were purchased before these droughts - they've been very reliable to date.

I should really stock up with some more...

I should also add - I don't personally like the notion of buying MM seconds.

They are so cheap in the first place that I'd prefer to have ones without obvious flaws because I don't subject my cobs to abuse - I generally keep them going for years...

Now if I wanted a pipe for really hard use - perhaps I'd think about it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I burned the bottom of a cob once. I was fishing and smoking pretty hot while clenching. It was several years old at the time. It was my go to fishing pipe and it had taken alot of abuse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. joshremy

joshremy

Login to Send PM

I have yet to burn out a cob, but I do have a pony I know would burn out as it really doesnt have a bottom of the bowl. The soft spot from the core of the cob has split in drying so the internal extension of the shank is the bottom of the bowl.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tarheel1, jlawitzke, stevepmc, phonomet, peckinpahhombre, pruss, daimyo, misterlowercase, weezell, anthonyrosenthal74, mmjk, eightywon, dmcmtk, mikestanley, antbauers, mephistopheles, mrenglish, ivapewithfire, jmatt, tbradsim1, huntertrw, agnosticpipe, fearsclave, flintlockjohn, chasingembers, buster, leacha