PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Could I use any cork...say from a wine bottle to tap a pipe or is it a special kind of cork? Ebay has them for like £5 but there are a lot of corks form bottles available for free?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A champagne cork with its big rounded top and wide skirt of a base does nicely glued to the bottom of an ashtray or ceramic bowl (fancy or from Walmart). I always prefer to scoop out the bowl with the scoop end of a pipe nail, but I am of the minority that prefers not to build much cake, just leaving a thin layer of carbon. This does the job of cake but preserves the pipe nicely and eliminates the need for a reamer which, if used wrong, can do damage, slight or serious. After scooping, I wipe out the bowl with a paper napkin, paper towel, or tissue. Some of my 30 and 40 year old pipes "say" this suits them well.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
As mentioned a wine or champagne cork will do the trick quite nicely. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Necessary equipment for porch smoking in S La, Clothes Pins serve dual purpose, pipe rest and Adjustable Tamper, strong coffee, Bug spray and Dunhill ODA. Filled with Nitecap.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
You can also use your index finger (the inside lateral area on the proximal phalanx). Gently of course.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Brad....please tell me the Raid is not somehow a part of your smoking kit?? :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Man, that wasp and hornet spray is impressively deadly. If you get your aim right, those boys drop directly to the ground. If you miss, you can be in for some pain. Keep firing.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Most of the site sponsors sell cork knockers; I bought one from pipes and cigars for $2 and glued it to an empty MM965 tin. Works great.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I've bought some of the cork knockers a while ago too, but found those corks from actual bottles function just as well. I like the way they look, or maybe it's that I was gonna throw 'em out anyway. I like using my tins lately because I don't need to clean them like my ashtrays.
The clothespins are a fantastic idea! Thanks for that. Now I need to go make some coffee.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I have a cork knocker that I bought at a B&M for $3 and glued in a nice glass ashtray.
I also have a wine cork glued into a cheap plastic ashtray and another wine cork glued into an empty tobacco tin.
My pipes can't tell the difference. :)

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Does anything need to be done to clean the cork? A cork soaker perhaps?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I had a champagne cork that had a larger than normal rounded crown portion to it. I cut off the thin lower section, and the top crown now sits in the ashtray. It's got enough substance that I didn't need to glue it to the ashtray. Makes cleaning easier.
I also like a standard cork just laid on its side. Same concept, isn't permanent in the ashtray but serves its purpose.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I've fashioned some custom cork knockers out of craft cork bulletin board sheets. I cut out and glue together the rough shape then shape it on a sanding disk. I've been very happy with the results. 8O

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Does anything need to be done to clean the cork?
Sometimes I use my pipe nail to brush the loose ash off the top of the cork, but thats about the extent of the cleaning that they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.