PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Well, I have been a cig smoker for well over 20 years and lately got some news that I have the beginning stages of

COPD, chronic bronchitis to be exact. I don't want to quit the pipe since it brings me so much enjoyment...am I a fool? I don't usually inhale any pipe smoke but an occasional breath of straight VA or a VABUR which I plan on stopping. Give it to me honestly guys...what are your thoughts?

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I think, if you quit the cigarettes, you should be good to go with the pipe. I am not a doctor or play one on tv, its just my 2 cents. My Father smoked for many, many years all while being a coal miner. He eventually developed "Black Lung" and had to quit smoking. He does smoke a pipe with me when he visits but his health did get better when he quit cigarettes.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well the easy and hard answer is to stop. I'd have a real serious visit with your pulmonologist. COPD is a chronic, irreversible disease so you want to do all you can to halt continuing damage.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Well cigs are out as of yesterday...don't even crave them. Thanks for the notes guys...good advice. I will take it slowly and listen to my body. The doctor thinks that the albuterol I'm taking is not a good match and wants to change me over to an Atropine based inhaler. The Albuterol almost makes me feel worse than I did when I had an exacerbation untreated...paradoxical bronchospasm. Yeesh!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Tough spot to be in and tough call to make. Can't speak for you but if it was me I'd quit the cigs and keep puffing my pipe possibly limiting how often I smoke the pipe.

Good luck with this issue. :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know, it's a personal decision, I work in health care and see families take control of people's lives all the time. If you can smoke the pipe and it doesn't send you into a coughing fit or shortness of breath than I don't see any real evidence of why you should stop it. If when you smoke it the hassles outweigh the benefits, such as you go into coughing fits and shortness of breath, then it's not going to be a pleasurable experience anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In your place, I'd reduce pipe smoking even if it is moderate now, and monitor your medical situation closely, and quit if necessary. You have to breathe; it's not negotiable.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If I was diagnosed with COPD I would immediately quit smoking anything in an effort to try to stop further damage so that I could try & live out my life without inhalers or pulling around an oxygen tank. My dad was diagnosed with COPD, then lung cancer a few short years later. Continued use of inhalers will thin the skin & make you bruise easily while your neck & face will puff up noticeably.
If you've never sat in the pulmonary wing of a hospital and watched patients fight for every breath they take, it's not a very pretty sight.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Again, thanks for the variety of advice. Definitely true that if there was significantly diminished function, which is not the case now, the wisest thing to do would be to leave the realm of smoke. I think cutting back is a good idea, already quit the cigs and as of now no coughing fits.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Your decision of course but, I'd stop. Your body needs all of its resources directed at combating the effects of your disease. Simply sucking in and absorbing various other poisons will only add to your problems.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I'm not one to give such advice but I wanted to say that I am sorry for your news. It has been a pleasure to have you around and I hope you drop in on us from time to time if you do quit if it's not creating too much temptation.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@seadog, I won't offer any medical advice, but you're in my thoughts. Do what's best for you. Only you know how your body feels and reacts. Best of luck. :puffy:

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks guys. It is an emotionally charged event and I really wanted some objective viewpoints. Right now I'm processing all that has happened and waiting for the results of the lung function eval. It's overwhelming to say the least. Thanks for being here for me, gents.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
So sorry to hear that seadog.
I wouldn't give advice, and I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you if it was me, as long as I didn't inhale any smoke at all.. ever, then I'd probably still smoke a pipe. Especially if the Doc told me I was going to have this condition, and it was going to do xy and z whether I smoked a pipe or not. Then it would be hard for me to justify not smoking my pipes under those circumstances.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Some of these replies remind me of the punch line where the 12 yr old boy gets the lecture about masterbation, then says,
"It's okay Dad...I'll quit when I have to wear glasses!"

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with the call to quit. The enjoyment that all of life brings far outweighs the momentary pleasures of the pipe. Discover new pleasures and savor the joy of life.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
seadogontheland:
Here is a link (COPD) to the Website of the Mayo Clinic, and their pages on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. I hope that you find the information which they present to be helpful to you in deciding whether or not to continue pipe-smoking.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Maybe this will help; Do you want to live as long and as comfortably as is possible? Or, do you want to consciously engage in behavior which you know is doing absolutely nothing positive for your health and likely speeding you on your way?
You are in a tough position. You've got the guilt, the fear, the denial, etc. to fight through and making a decision, any decision, is tough at this point. When you get to the point of accepting the diagnosis, then the decision making will be somewhat easier.
I wish you luck in your battle. It'll be a tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.