PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

caa55

Lurker
Aug 27, 2015
Hello folks.
I'm a fast smoker, very fast and enjoy it that way (three bowls in an hour). But I've come to realize lately I may be creating problems for myself in that at times my lower lip experiences a burn irritation (and lingering tingling) due to the smoke being too hot when it travel thru the bit. I've learned to minimize any tongue issues but now I'm working thru this lip burn thing.
So rather than slow my smoking down to a pace that's not enjoyable for me (though I admit I should slow it a bit), I'd rather try to find some pipes that will naturally cool the smoke before it travel thru the bit. It seems that pipes that have a reputation for such are a Meerschaum, a Falcon, and a long stemmed Canadian style.
Any others I'm missing and which of these would you give the nod to?
Thanks for any advice.

chuck

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If we are going to take tobacco drying, packing technique, and puffing speed completely out of the equation, and rely solely on pipe materials and mechanics, I say this. A pipe with a more open draft of shank and stem may help out; the absorbent nature of meerschaum may help out, and the absorbent nature and wide-open draft of a Missouri Meerschaum cob may help out. Savinelli balsa filters also MAY help out, but with choo-choo train puffing, they will get water-logged and stop helping to take the hot steam out of the smoke in fairly short order. A wider bowl may also help to disperse extra heat; small bowls tend to smoke hotter for me if I get too exuberant and over-puff. Smoking slower is just easier, in the long run.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Though I don't think of a calabash and speed as congruous, a gourd and meer unit is possibly as cool as one could get this side of a hookah.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo caa - of the several hundred pipes I have, the coolest is the new Kirsten I got at the recent Chicago show. It is also the pipe producing the most flavor, maybe due to the cool combustion. I don't have any gourds or reverse calabashes, so they may be cool puffers too. My Stanwell HCA churchwarden isn't that much cooler compared to the same bowl and normal stem. However, I am a slow puffer, so that may affect the results.
hp

les

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Churchwarden? I would look for something with thicker walls. Meers are good for hot smoking cause at least you won"t burn it out like yo might a briar.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
The coolest smoke I've had is from my real gourd calabash with meerschaum bowl, and in a churchwarden style. Actually, the one in my avatar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's likely less the temperature of the smoke as it enters your mouth as the ingredients [and quality and quantity of same] that creates discomfort.
Really thick walls will make the pipe seem cooler, (and the outer bowl will be cooler) but the heat dissipation of briar won't do a lot to cool the smoke you taste.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you are really determined to smoke that fast...I would buy a Falcon and get lots of bowls, that way you can change them out after every smoke and let the bowls cool down. Further, I would buy meerschaum bowls for your Falcon they would smoke cooler at the speed you are puffing. I am only speaking of external bowl temperature, as to the temperature of the actual smoke, that has been answered above.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I know this is your own style, but I wouldn't recommend a fast smoke.. However, In case you like it this way, I'd go for a churchwarden or the totally awesome Falcon, something with a wide shaft, and maybe bent.. this will cool down your smoke by a lot. Falcons are awesome in the cool smoke department. And you can just use the same stem with a few bowls, so you can do a lot of rotations per day

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The coolest smokes come from long shank pipes like Canadian or Lumberman. The long shank absorbs and dissipates the heat for a cool dry smoke every time.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A cob would be your best bet.
Agreed ... a few cobs so you could alternate would be ideal.
You didn't mention what you're smoking so fast ... Carter Hall?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The length of stem has no impact at all on the temperature of smoke that reaches your mouth. A churchwarden and a nose warmer will deliver smoke at an identical temperature. Similarly, the thickness of the bowl or the stem again will have virtually no impact on the temperature of the smoke.
Reverse calabash designs do reduce the temperature of the smoke to an extent. The larger the condensation chamber the cooler the smoke will be. You will need something like this:

http://acmepipes.com/Double-Chamber.php
Here's an article that might be of use:

http://tobaccodays.com/2014/03/100-proven-reverse-calabash-pipes-provide-a-cooler-smoke/
Lestrout mentioned his Kirsten. These pipes use convective cooling and manage to effectively address moisture which is a natural byproduct of the design. I've never smoked one but I do believe lestrout knows a thing or two.
Les if you read this, how is the cleaning process on the Kirsten? I've been curious about these pipes for years but the biggest complaint I've read is they taste poorly.
Edit: Outside of the gourd calabash, the only traditional pipes that reduce temperature are block meerschaum pipes. I'm not sure if you will see a benefit though if you puff like fright train.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The length of stem has no impact at all on the temperature of smoke that reaches your mouth. A churchwarden and a nose warmer will deliver smoke at an identical temperature. Similarly, the thickness of the bowl or the stem again will have virtually no impact on the temperature of the smoke.
[pedantic mode] Wrong. Both will lower the temperature of the smoke, but at such minuscule levels you can't measure it. [/pedantic mode]
There can be a mental effect: If you think it smokes cooler, it does for you..... [?] :)

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
A system pipe ? Peterson, Savinelli both have decent ones and the estate market has plenty.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
[pedantic mode] Wrong. Both will lower the temperature of the smoke, but at such minuscule levels you can't measure it. [/pedantic mode]
There can be a mental effect: If you think it smokes cooler, it does for you..... [?] :)
If we're building arguments that can not be verified, why not say that longer stems increase the temperature of the smoke due to drag and turbulence. If you want to argue for the sake of arguing at least have some fun with it.
BTW: you can't be both pedantic and nebulous in the same post without looking the ass.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You do have the option of slowing down. This might rub you wrong and spoil your enjoyment, but it might not. One of the benefits of pipe smoking is the slowing down and taking your leisure, relaxing and reflecting, meditating a little. You might limit smoking, for a day or two, to only when you are seated and have some time. For that purpose, a churchwarden might set the mood, although the smoke isn't any cooler. It suggests a slower pace, and keeps the pipe mostly in hand. If you must clench and puff like a steam locomotive, maybe the cob would help. But I think this is a mind game with yourself, and it might be worthwhile to experiment a little. Sometimes change is good. It would be good to know if this is possible for you.

3 bowls in an hour? Ridiculous. Instead of looking for a magic pipe, just put some crushed ice in your mouth and gargle with aloe vera juice while smoking. This is all like asking, what can I do to make my car even louder? Ha ha, but if smoking fast is your thjbg have at it. I honestly don't think you'll find a pipe that will deliver a great smoke for you while you puff like a maniac. But, if thats your thing... you should post videos of you smoking for our amusement. :puffy:

caa55

Lurker
Aug 27, 2015
Thanks for the helpful and gentlemanly suggestions, I'll look into all given. Regarding softy bits, I have some and thought of those but the ones I have seem to introduce a bitter taste... not sure if they all would do this.
I must say I am intrigued by the looks of that gourd calabash, reverse calabash and the Kirsten. Don't see any prices on the Kirsten site so I'm almost afraid to ask. And I am surprise that no one suggested a meerschaum. While being a rapid smoker, job demands of late have literally forced me to squeeze a days worth of pipe smoking into an hour in the morning.... but it's still quite enjoyable. Two bowls of burley and one of english is typically what I go for. Thanks again for the advice and too bad about the stench at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.