PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
As a newbie, I've been scouring the 'net for info on all subjects related to pipe smoking. I've read a few times that some tobaccos burn hotter than others. Right now I am concentrating on aromatics and they all tend to burn hot.
I attributed this mostly to my ineffective smoking technique, but maybe it's also the tobacco?
My trouble with aromatics being hot is this: if I fill the bowl firmly, it gums up and is difficult to draw air through. If I pack it somewhat loosely, it doesn't gum up, but goes out all the time, requiring frequent relighting, unless I draw a lot. Both of which make the bowl too hot.
Can someone help a newbie out? What am I doing wrong? Or does it have to do with the tobacco more than anything else.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If it's gumming up, you simply have wet tobacco, let it sit out for a bit, even some of the best blends ever made come to wet sometimes. It is really up to the blender how wet they come and up to you to decide how moist they should be when you light it up. Just air it out and check for change every half hour or so, while mixing it up. After a while of trial and error you will be able to feel the tobacco and now when it is right or when it must be dried.
The easy test is grab a piece of paper, if you pinch a clump of tobacco together and drop it on the paper, if it doesn't stick together at all it's too dry. If it stays together it is too wet. If it unfurls in front of your eyes then it is just right. That is a basic test and there is further fine tuning to do when you get better at it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot Eric. I guess that's something I've been trying to avoid, but that may be the key to the problem.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
As a general rule the more sugar your tobacco has the hotter it will burn. Virginia tobaccos have the highest natural sugar content which is why they need to be smoked slow but will reward with a wonderfully sweet flavor.
Your arose are most likely made most of burley to absorb the goop they flavor the tobacco with better. Goop on the tobaccos can add sugar to the tobacco and make it burn hotter as well. So do what was said above and dry out the are. I personally do not do the clump test to aros because I can leave them out for a week and the goop will still preserve some kind of moisture.
Dry out. Smoke slow. Try different packing methods and different pipes if you can. I only smoke arose in cobs. Less hassle no gurgle.
Happy smoking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would get yourself a tin of either Wessex Brown Virginia or Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. Both of these are beautiful flakes that come ready to smoke and are nice and sweet. Just rub them out a bit, use the three step packing method checking the draw after each level and then enjoy. These are no bite Virginia's made of very high quality tobacco. You can buy them from either PipesandCigars.com or SmokingPipes.com.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Aromatics will crackle and sizzle if you listen closely, and an elegant English like Penzance( just picking a random name out of the blue) :mrgreen: will smoke and burn COOL :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The aros I buy are high quality, but I will check out the ones recommended - thanks again.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
In addition to the moisture content of the tobacco (adequately covered above,) consider the Frank Pipe Packing Method. It's available on YouTube and also on PipesMagazine.com. that should burn down to fine grey ash all the way to the bottom.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Maybe my dad's advice, which I've used for 53 years, will help you.
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack looser than you think you need to.

Smoke slower than you think you need to.

Tamp less, and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys - the packing method I think I have down, but the tips @tiltjlp offer are really good. I have read the same advice before, and yet I still am struggling a little with each one.
There's a bit of finesse with pipe smoking which I haven't quite mastered yet - but I'm getting there thanks to this forum.
@cigrmaster - very close, it's Patrick McGoohan - The Prisoner was a 60s classic - very unique for it's time (or any time really)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That's his name, thanks. Yes it was unique for anytime but especially for the 60's. I like that actor. He was in a favorite of mine Ice Station Zebra with Rock Hudson and Ernerst Borgnine.

Status
Not open for further replies.