PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
What is this cool smoke that I read about?

Cool smoke is used to describe tobacco and sometimes to describe a pipe.

Personally, I've never experienced a cool smoke, no matter how slow I puff or what I puff.

Have you?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I think cool may be a relative term. I've certaibly smoked blends that were cooler than others. Most areos burn hotter than say most english blends. At least that's been my experience.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Latakia blends tend to be my coolest smokes.
Va's tend to burn the hottest, especially if pushed too hard.
Burley seems to fall in the middle depending on the blend.
My cobs, in general, smoke cooler and dryer than my briars.
There's my .02 :)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
After smoking about two to three bowls a day for four years now I've gotten a cadence and rhythm down that I don't really get tongue bite or a hot smoke. Doesn't matter what pipe or what blend.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I used to smoke Kools and Salems back in the day.

I suppose those were cool smokes.

Today, I puff to produce as little smoke as I can, but still don't experience something cool.

Just saying.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah, my father-in-law was asking about what a "cool smoke" was after I played the Fred Hanna interview for him and my wife on a road trip. Near as I can tell, it's a relative term - "cool" would be any smoking session that doesn't scorch my tongue at this point in my learning curve. It's happening more often now, thankfully. After I kick this chest congestion, I suspect I'll have to relearn a bit before my averages drop any further.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I think a cool smoke is either a tobacco that d burn hot, or a tobacco that will give you a cool feeling in your mouth like mint

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For me cool implies being able to taste the flavor rather than the process of carbonizing. If ones smokes a traditional cigarette, they are going to taste the dry tobacco burning more than the tobacco itself. I think one can replicate this distasteful event if they smoke their cigar or pipe to fast and hard with overly dry tobacco. While the temperature of the smoke may not vary wildly I think one can taste when the cherry is basically hot and smoldering as opposed to burning at a nice slow pace, warming the tobacco next to it. To me, this is different than tongue burn which seams to be more about moisture in the smoke and gives a different mouth feel. I would agree cool probably isn't the best word but if taken in context, we do want the most tobacco flavor, oils, constituents etc to be what our mouth is greeted with.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I use Long's Pipe Cleaners for a cool, clean, sweet pipe smoke.
Sounds more like an advertising slogan to me! :wink:
I don't see how a pipe cleaner, no matter what the brand is, can be attributed to getting a 'cool' smoke? IMHO it all basically depends on the type of the tobacco one smokes (a lot of variables here), and the cadence of smoking it albeit it can also, in some instances, be attributed to a poorly made pipe.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
All joking aside, you -are- taking a mouth hit off of burning leaves, how cool can it really be?
It's smoke from a smoldering fire six inches from your mouth.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Very true. I would imagine that the term 'cool' smoke is a relative term and one that I've never experienced. That is not to say that when I smoke it's 'hot', but it is certainly not what I would consider as being 'cool'. Perhaps a better description, at least in my opinion with some tobaccos would be 'smooth', for lack of a better term.

Status
Not open for further replies.