Cool pipes I got at antique shop ever seen it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Check out these pipes I just bought do y'all know anything about the first one. Note the markings on the silver band.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
A long time ago I had a pipe with a similar band. I seem to remember looking into it and finding out that it was just the brand of whoever produced the metal, not the pipe brand (which was a no-name).
I dig the logo, though.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
For that logo I would look into the many lives of the Silver Match Lighter Company. I seem to recall they had a similar logo at one time. When they started doing business in the US in the 1950's their elegant lighters were sold at jewelry stores. The company was bought & sold several times and by the early 1960's they were selling a line of lighters in drug stores. It was during this company ownership that they also sold a line of pipes. Who made the pipes for them, I don't know. By the 1970's they were selling big gaudy coffee table lighters. Today I think they are buried among the companies of some big conglomerate and probably make plastic disposable lighters.
Hope this helps.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm really intrigued by some of the bold rustication, both showy and folksy. I have a La Rocca poker that

has that sort of finish. It first put me off the pipe, but later I had to go back and buy it. It's a whole different

feeling for design from (maybe) the 1950s.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
After a quick. Cleaning I am smoking the pipe with the stinger and the lined bowl and it is definitely going to be one of my favorite pipes it smokes cool and dry

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
I thought I recognized that band...Here's a Butz-Choquin floating around on Ebay at the moment:
t2ec1610.jpg

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Yep same band. Unfortunately there was a stinger stuck in the pipe, that is probably why the stem broke. I drilled it out and discovered that the wood was horribly cracked under the band. The band must have been super glued on because despite all my efforts it would not come of so I cut it off to get to the broken wood. I cut the pipe just after the broken area and plan to get a new stem drill out the whole reinstall the band and then have a nice looking church warden. The band won't look as good as it originally did but I still hope to incorporate it into the final pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Not meaning to resurrect a month old thread, but I just found this post while looking up an orphan pipe in my "restore bucket" and want to add this picture to the knowledge base. Thanks to all for the information. I believe these were repair bands sold to pipe shops.
unknownpipe_zpsf35d6f78.jpg

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I also have a repaired pipe that has that band. But I've also seen it on a new pipe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.