PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just tried my Elizabethan clay from P&C. The deal was 3 of these and a pouch of SWR for $16.99. After trying it I totally get the attraction to clays. They're little bitty. Just enough for a quick smoke, but they are cool and dry like a Meer. The bowl does heat up but even with a 4 inch pipe you can hold it by the stem in comfort.
IMAG0125.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
I have two clays and I love them. My one is starting to patina nicely like a meerschaum too. Smoke them enough and they will start to turn brownish gray in color and it will look like your pipe has been dragged through a war zone. Glad you like it!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That's cool Baron. The clay does offer a different smoke than briar. I enjoy mine once in a while. It's a bit bigger than yours so I can get 30 or 40 minutes if I go slow.
_DSC0398.jpg

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have seen those little clays at a pipe shop in my area. Was thinking of picking one up for quick smokes. Just wish they were not so fragile.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
They are about as fragil as a coffe cup and that pipe looks very small bowled, are the red tips glazed or waxed?

All my clays I can get 45 mins + smokes out of them and a new pipe is very dry smoking not so much when it will actually bleed tar .I really should refire my nose warmer dublin I think I will do it this weekend while camping.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The ends are waxed, or so it seems, because I can scratch it with my teeth. I would assume a glaze would be much harder. The bowl is good for maybe 10-15 min. If you had several new blends to try, these would be great. If you take them out and about, you'd want a hard case to keep them in, though. If you sat on it or dropped it, it would be toast!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I've had mine since the late 90's. Have used it camping and kayaking and at many backyard campfires. I just always keep it in a case when not in use and be mindful were I lay it. I know in the old days they were considered almost throw away items but I've grown fond of mine over the years. :puffy:

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I might have to get myself one of those! And they aren't very expensive especially for that three pipe set on P&C!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Got the same set. Neat little pipes. You can get 10 minutes out of them, easily.
I also found that mixing that SWR half, along with my 50/50 mixture of BCA and 1Q makes a pretty good smoke in a regular pipe....
to minimize confusion..
Mix 50/50 Lanes 1Q and BCA.
That is a great all day smoke.
Mix that and SWR, and it is pretty good, too.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
What a buy! I don't think my B&M has an offer like that. I will check to see if they have any clay pipes.

You've enticed me to get my first clay!

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I may have to just pick up a clay too! Especially if you can get a quick smoke out of them. I would rather not pack half a bowl if don't have to. :puffpipe:

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
How often do clay pipers here fire-clean thier clay pipes?

well I am going to do it for my first time this week end and I have been smoking this pipe daily for over six months. I may chicken out because I really do like the way it looks.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Smoked daily for 6 months...lol
That definately sounds long overdue to me.
I know there was a really good tutorial on here on how to care for your clay pipes but ill be damned if I search for it on this cell phone haha.

cumberland

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I might have to get myself one of those! And they aren't very expensive especially for that three pipe set on P&C!
It's almost mandatory to have at least one clay pipe in the collection... after all, they were one of the "first" pipes smoked, harking back to the 17th. century. I've been told most of them have small bowls for a reason: Tobacco was VERY expensive back then (can you believe it: even MORE expensive than today?! LOL )... so the pipe bowl were accordingly small. Also, pipe smoking was something "exotic", reserved for the gentry and/or wealthy people.
Good advice for clay pipe smokers:
1) Never ever touch the bowl once you've fired up the tobacco... the bowl will become glowing hot in a giffy, burning your fingers!
2) Put some nail varnish (most use the red one) on the "mouthpiece" and reaching a couple of inches into the stem. Reason is that the clay tends to stick to the human lip (not really a nice sensation I can assure you). The varnish makes it a more pleasant experience to smoke the pipe.
Advantage of the clay pipes: You can smoke say a Latakia blend in the pipe, empty the bowl and fill the pipe straight afterwards with say a straight Virginia. Firstly, the clay pipe will not taste of Latakia even though you just smoked a Latakia blend, plus you won't be able to burn through the pipe by not having the pipe rest between the two pipefulls........

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I just picked up an Elizabithan clay this afternoon. This one has clear glaze on the mouth piece. Smoked a bowl after lunch. Perfect quick smoke but I can not get a pipe cleaner threw the shank. Saw a larger cutty shape clay I might have to get next time i am there!

Jul 12, 2011
@Philip- I really like that LePeltier model....
I have been smoking the Dutch Gouda model from PennValley for awhile now and really like

the way it smokes and gives the "true" flavor of all the bacci....
This new Style 9 is prett sweet as is the 16", but I know I would break

that one ;-)

http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_MFclays.php

Status
Not open for further replies.