PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
In my continuing quest for inexpensive va/pers, I've set my sights on Cool Hand Fluke...
Any current or former CHF smokers around here? What do you like or dislike about it?

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I like it. It's not an everyday smoke for me and I would like a little more perique it because I like my tobaccos to have more kick than a can-can line but I'm never disappointed when I smoke it. I prefer Escudo and H&H Anni Kake at this point but I would order more to keep on hand when I run out of the supply I have.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Never smoked it but it sounds yummi. Richard has good blends. Next time you order from 4noggins, request a sample in the "comments" line and he'll send you some, enough for a few bowls.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
rcstan,

Thanks for the tip. I have never thought to ask for any samples...
Cortezattic's reviews are actually some of the only opinions I can find on the blend. He gave a good review there; I've pretty much decided I'm going to get Cool Hand Fluke - the question now is 4oz or 8oz to start...
Reichenbach, you should get some blending perique and amp it up a notch!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You can read more reviews of my blend at 4noggins and at Tobacco Reviews.
http://www.4noggins.com/JohnPattonsCOOLHANDFLUKE.aspx
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=3377

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thank you kindly, Mr. Patton - I've read all of those reviews more than once! I just like to ask around and get a few stray opinions from people who don't usually post formal reviews, even if they are just one liners.
I've been trying to decide what other blends of yours to try. I've had Moe's Confetti before and liked it, but I think Cool Hand Fluke is more of my style, particularly since I want a nice bit of perique in my smoke. The other virginias you offer will probably be on my shortlist.
I'm also a big cob man so I think Cool Hand Fluke should be a success. I've just got to wait for my last order to arrive before I set up another. I'll post my impressions here whenever I get a chance to try it.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I really should add my own perique and stop complaining. I have the utmost respect for blenders because I don't have the first clue in regards to what it would take but experimentation is the spice of innovation (or something along those lines).
I will also say too that I was soured on the tobacco because I was smoking it (or trying to) when I had an unpleasant run-in with a loud mouthed anti and this has nothing to do with the quality of the blend. In fact, I picked that blend out in particular as the only tobacco I was carrying that day. That should have been in my initial comment as a full disclosure and I apologize for that but I had only just remembered.
I love VaPers and I am sure I will come back to it once I get all of the sand combed out.
On a side note, isn't it funny how situations can affect how we feel about blends?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I can't smoke Top Black Cherry anymore because I got food poisoning the same night that I smoked it last... It makes me want to retch now - I know your pain.
I don't smoke in public too much, so I haven't had any anti encounters... I've had one or two positive and nostalgic conversations about pipes before, though.
I'd say a few dashes of perique would be an easy way to amp up the Cool Hand Fluke if you could use a little more spice or strength. I've been thinking about getting a tin of blending perique anyway to mix with some PA every once in awhile. Maybe I should keep a bit to throw in my Cool Hand Fluke or Escudo!

Status
Not open for further replies.