PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
With this latest JT Cooke I now own 2 smooth and 2 rusticated!
15394689073_1030c51fc7_o.jpg

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
I'm confused, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sandblasted? Or are you referring to the sandblasting as being a form of rustication? I don't know if someone would rusticate something to mimic the rings that he tries very hard to achieve. http://www.cookepipes.com/About.aspx

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
JT Cooke #1, Smooth Cavalier
8381846188_d1ebcb7045_o.jpg

JT Cooke #2 Rusticated or blasted Cauldron with smooth top
14578709944_d97e849def_o.jpg

JT Cooke #3 Smooth Poker Sitter with Military style stem
15253964157_a29a3369ee_o.jpg

JT Cooke #4 Calabash 1/4 bent Rusticated or blasted
15394689073_1030c51fc7_o.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That poker is my favorite! I have nothing like that yet. Someday.
@crimsonrat, I have seen the terms rusticated and sandblasted used interchangeably so I understand the confusion. Maybe somebody will clarify. Can rustication apply to both carved and sandblasted?

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I've always though a pipe was either smooth or rusticated. Crimson can you explain the difference between rusticated and sandblasted? Beautiful pipes by the way.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Rustication is generally made by taking some sort of homemade tool or dremel and gouging out pieces of the briar. Done a lot of times to hide flaws in wood, and by proxy, hides the grain. With sandblasted, they put it in a cabinet with a window on it and hit it with pressurized air and some sort of medium... i.e. walnut shells, glass beads, sand, etc... the soft spots in the wood are removed in a natural pattern, hiding straight grain, but revealing the rings, such is the case with the calabash shaped one. I'm a pedant, and it is a pet peeve of mine when I see rustication and sandblasted used interchangeably. Like when a Devil Anse pipe is called a Devil's Anse. It was named after someone, not one of Lucifer's posessions. And when brindle colored acrylic is referred to as Cumberland. I can get off on a tangent about "Cumberland" being a Dunhill name for red/black vulcanite, but whatever.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Gotta disagree with you gig. I believe the light brown is blasted. A reverse image search brings up the original smokingpipes listing and you can see on the front, chin, and some of the bottom of the bowl the transition to birdseye: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=137124

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The term that's getting bandied about these days is "micro" blasting, wherein the material used allows for some very fine control of the blast. Cooke's a master at it and Von Erck's no slouch either, though I'm pretty sure that Von Erck uses some rustication in concert with his blasts to get the effect that he gets.
Those Cookes are stunning!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Fish
I just love your latest Cooke. The bend is just perfect
I would like to own a Cooke one day, but he primarily uses acrylic for his stems and I just can't tolerate the plastic
Enjoy that beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.