PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
This small desk is well over 80 years old and has seen its day. It has remained in my family for years and first belonged to my Great Grandfather who handed it down it my Grandfather who handed it down to my Mother who just today gave it to me. :)
I plan to do a small renovation by adding a removable pipe rack which should house at least 32 pipes or more. This will be located in the center area behind the fold up door. I'll try to find a few cherry wood boards and if not possible I'll use pine and add cherry stain and polyurethane. I'll then be adding removable dividers to the single drawer to hold either more pipes or tobacco tins, pipe tools, etc. I'll line the pipe rack and drawer with either Navy Blue, Forest Green or dark Burgundy felt. If you have other suggestions please feel free to provide them. I can use all the advice, ideas or suggestions you may have to offer.
Please excuse so many images. I sometimes get carried away snapping shots!
desk11.jpg

desk8.jpg

desk3.jpg

desk6.jpg

desk10-1.jpg

cab2.jpg

desk13.jpg

desk14.jpg

desk4.jpg

desk5.jpg

desk9.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Durham, you with your antique desk, and me with my new 42-pipe cabinet along with other racks, we are

experiencing a pipe infestation. Maybe they will overpopulate and get all excited and run over a cliff into

the sea. That is a terrific use of an beautiful old piece, perfect. The pipes look so companionable with the

desk, like they were all made for each other.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Very elegant furniture.

And the fact that it came down from your great grandmother is a wonderful story.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A very nice looking desk, but I also would have to agree with trailboss.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Before modifying it, I would make sure that it isn't a highly collectible piece...(maybe I have watched too many episodes of antiques roadshow)...and if you choose to hand it down to a non pipesmoking heir, original condition may be preferential.
Regardless, looks great!
trailboss, yes I have considered that and that is the reason I stated anything added would be removable. I'd not use screws or other means making anything permanent. The desk will remain in it's original condition. I watch Antiques Roadshow too. LOL

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
What a great idea, I have such a desk, but not an heirloom an will ponder on useing it. I would use the Burgandy with the color of the desk it would be a grand color scheme. Very Nice.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's fantastic Durham, my mother has a desk similar to that and one day I would like to have it for that exact purpose. I would say you have a thing for plateau rimmed freehands! Nice collection there.

Status
Not open for further replies.