PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have been smoking for about 11 months now but I have never read a book, sat at the computer or done any other activities while smoking. I have just sat and thought and meditated. My dad always read while smoking, but he was allowed to smoke in the house. I was wondering if anyone also just sits and thinks?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Doing it right now. It's unseasonably warm, so I'm using the solace of my back porch, the sound of wind and birds, and the fascinating swirl of incoming storm clouds to clear my mind's cobwebs. Enjoying this time of deep thought with an IMP meer bent apple loaded with Bothy Flake.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke while working, playing and relaxing. When I stop to sit and think I usually have a pad of paper and pen. This usually results in a matrix or a bunch of notes regarding what ever poser I was wrestling with. I believe it is genetically impossible for me to just sit and think.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I do, but not as often as "I should". I use the word "should" because it is very helpful for humans to meditate(or listen) These are the times I find the nicotine is most helpful in my life. It slows my mind down and relaxes my body and soul. Its healing time.

Sep 18, 2015
For the most part smoking is a way to relax and I prefer to do nothing more strenuous than conversation or maybe watch a TV show or movie although I do enjoy a pipe while driving. I have tried smoking in the shop, at my desk on the jobsite, etc. and while I can smoke while doing these things I simply don't get the satisfaction/pleasure out of it when I do.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I smoke outside, so for me it has become contemplation and clearing the maze of clutter from my head. Sitting under the stars just enjoying a blend with the wind and sharing a moment with the darkness is spot on for me.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I smoke mostly indoors, whilst I'm watching TV or a movie, sometimes when I'm reading. But I do often just smoke and think about everything and anything. I do find that when I'm too concentrated on doing something else, I forget to tamp and occasionally puff too fast or too slow. So I smoke the best when just contemplating and puffing.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I smoke outdoors, and I very much try to do what you're describing, just sitting and thinking. I just kinda figure that if the pipe alone isn't satisfying enough by itself, why the heck am I pouring so much money into this hobby? :crazy: :lol:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was wondering if anyone also just sits and thinks?
Yes, and also while pipe smoking...
It is the activity that people above 120 IQ should do on a regular basis, but most do not.
I am not a Buddhist, but it's where I see eye-to-eye with them. Mindfulness and meditation, although those are derived from the Hindu tradition.
A few hours of clear thought a day will make any man a radical.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Life can be to distracting these days. Humans weren't meant to be entertained daily. I eat breakfast and lunch in silence. it's healthy to be comfortable in complete silence.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I reserve any "heavy" thinking for that few minutes between the head hitting the pillow and sleep. For me, and only me, sitting and musing equal time well wasted. And, I haven't so much left to spend it sitting and thinking about stuff. I may stop reading and ponder an author's point, might debate it in my mind even. But that's about as far I can go without my mind sometimes going places I really do not want to visit.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I do smoke a pipe meditatively, and extensively so. (My I.Q., btw, is above 120.) I had a spree of meditation pipe smoking two years ago, shortly after picking up the hobby, while visiting a friend living in the desert two hours outside Vegas, NV, looking at the stars (invisible in the city because of light pollution). I consider it an invaluable aid when writing as well. They should do a study examining pipe smoking and degenerative brain disorders--it's been noted that heightened brain activity decreases the chances of acquiring disorders like Alzheimer's (but not the vascular variety which affects the brain like a stroke). In other words, use it or lose it. Pipe smoking helps to use it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I like to smoke quietly out by my backyard pond when the weather is nice usually with a nice drink. In the colder months I sit in my recliner usually on my laptop with the tv on in the background or some music on. I'm usually relaxing when enjoying my pipe but not to deep in thought usually. :puffy:

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I smoke outside, mainly on my back porch and while I sometimes just sit and smoke I generally prefer to either read or listen to an audio book.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Shoot , the best time for us men is to have some alone time, to relax due to our work , home life and this fast pace world , we need time to organize our minds, I let my imagination grow and I ponder thought that are worth more than a thousand words, only the greatest thinker come from the time to think, look at Albert Einstein, he was daydreaming in school and had a bed rep for doing that, and he was one of the greatest thinkers and scientists in his life time.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I smoke almost exclusively indoors and I generally don't watch the television while I am, I have found that I puff too hard or otherwise lose my rhythm if my concentration is too focused on a show or a movie, there are exceptions of course, but they are few and far between. I might read a book or a periodical, but more often than not I just puff away into a meditative contemplation, I will often put on some music at a low volume, mostly light jazz, ecclesiastical or classical.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
My pipe smoking ritual consists of myself in an old wing back chair, a trusty briar and my notebook. I write down the day, time weather conditions (if outside), pipe used and tobacco selection. After the initial information I relax and go into my thoughts only writing what may come to me as I enjoy the smoke. It is in fact my daily meditation ritual, my time void of outside stimuli. Just myself, the leaf and the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.