PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. I have seen this about 20 times, but have not seen it since I started smoking a pipe. Watched it last night, and for the first time noticed the actor Geoffrey Blake smokes a pipe, and on numerous occasions during the movie. Interesting how you notice the pipe smokers that you never noticed before when you start smoking a pipe.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I haven't watched the film in about 10 years. Saw it when it came out in the mid 90s and was impressed with it, so I read the book too. Later I rented the DVD because I wanted to think about it some more. Sagan was always thought provoking, forcing us to think and reason about things. I'll find the film and watch it again to see how it comes off to me this time around. Should be fun!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One of the all time greats in its genre. Intelligent sci-fi flicks are few and far between these days, imo...just an endless stream of comic book movies. Hollywood will churn out another 100 Batman, Superman and Spiderman movies before we see anything like another Contact.
It's been several years since I last watched it and I'm not recalling the pipe smoker. I'll have to watch for that next time.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It's time to take another look. Especially during these current times of the government putting out all this "Alien life, could be, should be, will be.. found" Right.. tell me something I don't already know...
Sable.. what you talking about? Explain please.. and in detail 8O

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable.. what you talking about? Explain please.. and in detail
There's not much to tell. I was the senior art director and head of 2D at Warner Bros Digital Studio at the time that this picture was being made, and we supplied some of the visual effects for it. It's all a bit of a blur because I was also working on one of the Batman pictures and other projects.

The reason that it comes go mind is that I had to do a bit of salvage on a sequence, which I seem to remember as being from Contact. It was a chase sequence. The camera assistant had neglected to check the gate of the camera during the shoot, which is a no no. And, of course, the camera developed a problem. The film advance was ever so slightly grinding film around the sprocket holes and the material was being deposited top and bottom of the gate with the result that two pyramids of emulsion bits were forming in the image area. The production was faced with having to reshoot the sequence, a potentially huge expense.

I was asked if I could "paint out" the pyramids, restoring image in those areas, one frame at a time. To put it mildly, I was dubious that it could be done, but I agreed to try . I spent a couple of days meticulously restoring the missing image by hand, one frame at a time. Some of the missing imagery I could cadge from other adjacent frames, massage it into the missing area and retouch lightly. Other elements I digitally hand painted in a photographic look, there being no photographic material to harvest. When I completed the test scene it was recorded back to film.

I remember telling the others in the screening room that they better not laugh. I was convinced that the effort would be a flop. Then we screened the shot.

The damned restoration worked seamlessly except for a pop in one frame, which could be fixed. The good news was that the compromised footage could be saved. The bad news was that the compromised footage could be saved, bad because it was a grueling process, one that I had no desire to continue to do.

Fortunately, I was able to hand it over to one of my staff, and that poor bastard had to do the restoration over the next three weeks, one frame at a time. I did a clean up pass after he had done all of the grunt work.

I'm pretty sure that the sequence was from Contact, as we were working on that show at the time I did the test, but it's always possible that it came from one of the other shows I was doing along with Contact. As I wrote at the beginning, it's a bit of a blur because I was touching a number of productions simultaneously.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I haven't seen this movie in a while, but I have used it in my classes when we discussed conflict studies and resolution. I like how the movie describes the changes in relationships among the people of the world. Let's say there is life on another planet--would that then break down political and religious barriers (Israeli-Palestinean, Indian-Pakistani, Sunni-Shia, North Korea-everybody else, etc.)? How would religious leaders and religion in general deal with it? Would it bring the world together more since there is now a "global us" and at the same time does this create a new conflict of "us vs them?" Can we ever see "them" as "us" and if not, what does this say about human nature? Made for some fantastic classroom discussions.
I also like the scene where Jodie Foster's character goes on and on about the benefits of scientific empiricism versus feeling and emotion. Matthew McConaughey's character then asks Foster if she loved her father. Of course, she says. "Prove it," replied McConaughey. Also made for some great discussions.
@sablebrush--thanks for the information regarding editing. Just goes to show how much work is involved after the actual shooting of a film!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
sablebrush, wow, that's so cool! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. :clap:
pipefish, I was wondering that while I was watching it. About would something like this bring the world together and make us realize all this petty stuff we fight over doesn't mean a thing in the scheme of things.
If anybody is considering watching it I would highly recommend the Bluray, and watch for the pipe smoker!

Status
Not open for further replies.