PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Over the past six months I've acquired quite a number of tobaccos and pipes. I'm finding that there are perhaps ten tobaccos I smoke most often, with another ten as the occasional smoke. With my pipes, I find that I smoke all of them pretty much equally in a rotation - perhaps somewhere approaching 20 pipes in all.
All of my pipes have cost $120 or less.
I think I own all of the pipes in this price range that I will need - at least for a while to come. Actually, I don't need to purchase another pipe. However, there is a particular pipe that appeals to me: the Castello 55 in Old Antiquari trim. The shape of the pipe and the sandblast just grab my attention.
My question for those of you who own Castellos - and hopefully this is is a fairly easy one - do you recommend?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Castello so I can't recommend, but I'll second the motion on moving up for a high-level pipe.

I bought a Ser Jacopo on deep discount at SP, and a Forums friend sent me Ferndown estate pipe, and these

are some of my best, and well worth having. Also, as you will likely find, while you enjoy an upscale pipe,

it will also teach you that your mid-range pipes aren't chopped liver, and you will appreciate them all the

more for their particular "talents" with certain blends and cuts. I'll be watching to see what advice you get

on Castellos. Forum member foggy has some really astute opinions about Dunhills, which to buy and which

not, and he or others may have similar specific suggestions on Castellos.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks for the heads up on the 55 "Castello" on ebay Italy. I'll definitely check that one out.
I'm not a collector - in any hobby that I enjoy. I am an enthusiast rather than a collector. Lack of funds, time, finesse - all combined make me less the collector and more the enjoyer. A mid-grade Castello will be fine for me. And if I'm fortunate enough to find the right 55 - even better.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
You will be in love. I have three Castello, two Sea Rock bulldogs and a Sea Rock billiard, and they all smoke like a dream. My favorite VA/Per pipe is the billiard and one of the bulldogs is my second most reliable tester for Latakia blends. Fit and finish are phenomenal, they have smoked sweet from the first bowl.
I feel, though, that I ought to warn you against buying a Castello. One won't be enough.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Lots of great brands in that price range. The vendor I prefer to buy from posts photos of the actual pipe, and they will also take a look at the pipe to ensure it passes a pipe cleaner, look for flaws, etc.
I'm also looking at Ser Jacopo and Don Carlos. I'm not sure if they're in the same quality league as Castello, but they also have some very nice designs.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Well, after all the varied advice on moving up in price range, I opted for this one. I really liked the sandblasted grain on this bad boy. So many to choose from, but I could only select one at this time. I think I'll be quite happy when it arrives.
Many thanks to all those who suggested Castello. And Jeremy checked - yep, it does indeed pass a pipe cleaner, as one would expect.
Old Antiquari KKKK bent billiard

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
What's your opinion(s) on Castello v. Dunhill? I'm going to get one or the other soon and was going to go with a dunhill but the Castello talk lately has me reconsidering.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Excellent choice. You'll love it.
I've had a few Dunhills in my collection but only a lone Birth Year remains. I bought it this year and if I'm tempted by the right pipe (probably another Castello) I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in. I don't really want to start a whole Thing as we all know can happen when Dunhill is brought up but I find Castello to be the far superior smoking device, both in terms of construction and flavor.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Not to be a contrarian but I have tried those brands newb mentioned and do prefer Castello, still.
Quality, not quantity, is also nice :) I'd bet you a wooden nickel that pipe you got is going to be a beast of a smoker for you.
lochinvar is right thought - you may find that one isn't enough.
A little hint though ...... check E-Bay Italy.
Mike you just shush yourself. No one else needs to know. ;)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've owned three Castellos and would own more, if it weren't for the price!

I'm primarily a British (ok English) pipe fan and enjoy vulcanite stems.

I like an acrylic stem for travel purposes and Castello is the cream of that crop. Sometimes, their buttons can be a little large and wide but mostly the stem work is to my liking (and excellent engineering).

My key issue with Castellos is their size - they really seem to make primarily large pipes and I gather that is what sells! 4K pipes I've found are just too large for my tastes (the two I sold were a 4K and a G).

My recent purchase, a 2k Trademark Shape 54 (bulldog) is perfect. Trademarks are a nice finish to get into a Castello. Not the grain queen of the higher grades, but smokes just as well.

Smoking a Castello seems to give a unique flavor to my regular blends.
Enjoy the one you grabbed, I really like the looks of the Old Antiquari line.

Dec 24, 2012
My key issue with Castellos is their size - they really seem to make primarily large pipes and I gather that is what sells! 4K pipes I've found are just too large for my tastes (the two I sold were a 4K and a G).
I assume the Castello experts will chime in if I am wrong here, but I was told that the K or G grading means different things depending on whether the pipe is smooth or not smooth.
For pipes that are not smooth (i.e. Seea Rocks or Old Antiquari), the grading refers to size.
For the smooth pipes, the grading refers to grain quality within the particular smooth designation (i.e. trademark, Castello, Collection etc.). So a KKK Castello Collection has been graded as having better grain than a KK Castello collection, but isn't necessarily a bigger pipe.
Just wanted to clarify that. And if I am indeed wrong on this, I sure would love to know.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
You are correct. This is a 4k Castello graded liverpool, for instance:
Screen%20Shot%202014-09-08%20at%207.41.36%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-09-08%20at%207.48.16%20PM.png

I guess you can't particularly tell from the pictures, but it is a very standard sized pipe. From the listing: 5-9/16” long, 1-13/16” tall, 1-7/16" wide, with a 13/16" chamber opening.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Just a really crazy thought but why are you referring to it as "moving up in price to a Castello"???

Price does not always dictate quality. It looks like it mights be to late since you already ordered what you were considering but remember for future purchases that price does not dictate quality. Castello does make a great pipe but is a Castello better than many of the Italian lines in the $200 to $300 range? Now this is just my opinion but no, they are not but then you wont have the prestigiously named Castello which just by the name adds a good 25-30% or more to the price all because of the name Castello.
Enjoy the new pipe but when searching for the next one you can probably go down in price by 30% and have the same quality in both fit and finish and smokability and still have a pipe that is just a great a smoker. Just because it says Castello does not make it any better, way more expensive yes but no better than a Radice, Cavicchi, Ser Jeccapo, Il Ceppo or any of the other pipe great Italian pipes that for many are considered to be better than paying for the name of Castello.
you are not simply paying more for the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.