PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Well, I just tried CCP bulk and was utterly horrified at the perfume flavor. Very strong to me. I desperately want to like this as the underlying tobaccos are fantastic. This is the first time in my life I couldn’t finish a bowl.
I’ve been wanting to try a Lakeland for awhile now and jumped on the chance during the last drop at SP. In no way, shape or form did I expect the soap/perfume flavor to be so... bad. Is this a normal reaction to a first try of a Lakeland? Please tell me I’ll come to enjoy it if I give it a chance?
Also, it was very damp, almost wet. Will drying for a few days kill some of the soapy flavor?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If Coniston Cut Plug horrified you with the Lakeland essence, you might not be a Lakeland fan.
To my palate the floral / perfume note is definitely there but not as strong as many other G&H blends.
All the G&H blends are shipped quite wet IMO and some drying time helps it stay lit easier but I'm not sure if it will change your reaction to the floral / perfume notes. Try it and see though. What have you got to lose.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Thanks for the reply verpor. At this point, definitely not a fan. I guess my main question: Is this an aquired taste and maybe I’ll like it the more I try it? Guess there’s only one way to find out. Going to take out a few flakes, let them dry overnight and try it again.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
You might come to like it. The first time is a bit shocking I guess, but to me it's like Bergamot or something similar in Earl Grey tea. Once you know what to expect you might come to crave it. Certainly there's nothing else like it IMO and the G&H tobaccos have become my favorites.
I'd say give it a fair chance with another half dozen smokes and see what you think. If you haven't come to like it by then, stick it in a jar and leave it for a couple years. That might take some of the edge of the floral essence and / or your tastes might change.
Just my 2 cents worth but your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I found the topping moderate and it didn't get in the way. Sure, you can dry it but I doubt will subdue the topping.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Thanks gentlemen. Sound advice. I’ve definitely experienced a change in tastes over the last year and have come back to many tobaccos I’ve previously tried and did not care for. A few are firmly now in rotation.
As much as I disliked CCP the first time, I’ll definitely give it several more tries as it is an interesting experience to say the least... Thanks again.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Panhandler, you might also try to smoke the entire bowl if you didn't the first time around. It seems like the first few puffs always have the most Lakeland essence and it's most apparent then. By mid bowl you may find that it fades into the background, and while it's still there, you either acclimate to it or it seems less obtrusive. If you just don't like it then nothing will help.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
try to smoke the entire bowl
Yes I did read about this also and I admit I barely got through 8 or 10 puffs. My understanding is the essence fades as the bowl progresses and the tobaccos will become more prominent. I could really tell the base tobaccos were excellent so I’ll definitely try this next bowl. Thanks.

Sep 18, 2015
I’m not sure if it’s an aquired taste or not, just based on my observations of others it seems to be love it or hate it. I’ve just recently started exploring the ‘Lakeland essence’ and CCP is the deepest I’ve gotten so far, I’m in the ‘Loved it immediately camp’ to me that first light note is incense and it only last about a second. I totally get the craving reference and completely understand how Alice must have felt when she fell into the rabbit hole!

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I have about 6 oz I bought during a bulk sale. Taking it out of the bag and into a jar is about as brave as I've been able to get with it yet!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I thought that one was pretty mild. Ennerdale is the Lakeland bomb. I love all of them.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
It’s kind of strange because the pouch (ziploc) note didn’t smell anything like soap/perfume. Has an outstanding scent in the bag and that’s why I was so shocked when I was hit by a semi truck full of soap on that first light. Now I’m on a mission to get through a few bowls before I decide if I’m just not one of those Lakeland lover types.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
Conniston cut plug ghosted my cob. The perfume seems to lighten up and be a background player after 1/3 the way through. I'm not really a fan of it but the base tobaccos are fabulous so I toughed it out. DBE and the other Kendals don't have that flavor as far as I can tell.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
With Lakelands, I always get to the point where I think “I don’t have to put up with this” and switch to something enjoyable.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I find the floral scented lakelands, much like an IPA, are only really enjoyable with the sun on my back.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
If you like the underlying tobaccos then maybe try to find Coniston cut plug unscented (I dont know if it is available where you are)

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Smoke it until you love it. Haha, I haven't actually had occasion to try this one myself, but I am a fan of lakelands. I was confused by them at first, but I seem to really like them now. I guess maybe it is not really an acquired taste, but I would give it a few bowls before you decide.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Try Ennerdale or Grasmere Flake for a Lakeland taste - and then go back to CCP. I never understood the soapy description, but intense floral taste sums it up for me - emphasis on intense. Maybe it's because CCP is your first Lakeland. The floral note fades from the forefront fairly quickly - and is way less impactful than Ennerdale or Grasmere. But it's more likely that once you get used to the Lakeland floral taste it seems to have a lot less impact than it does when you first encounter it.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I thought that one was pretty mild. Ennerdale is the Lakeland bomb. I love all of them.

Agreed! Stonehenge Flake was the first tobacco that had that lakeland thing going on, I knew at once I loved it. Conniston was the next one I tried and thought it was fantastic. Then Ennerdale came into my life and now its hard to switch it up as far as Lakelands go. I wish there was more topping....go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.