PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
One of the amazing thing about our hobby is how it brings people together. You don’t see the same amount of camaraderie among cigarette smokers, you may find similar friendships among cigar smokers, but for us few pipe-smoking contemplative types, this hobby brings us together. I’ve recently met some of my closer friends on groups like this - slowly puffing away, occupying my hands with typing and scrolling, and meeting people I would never otherwise know except that we share the same passion for wood and leaf. Amazing isn’t it? I’ve met people almost literally down the street, to Ireland, Japan, and South Africa. It makes me realize that now maybe more than ever, we are connected. We, as humanity, are a family. We don’t always like each other. We don’t always get along. But we are connected and how we treat each other is important. It’s important in our very small piping community to be gentlemen and ladies to one another, reflecting the class and the sophistication that our pipes promote. It’s also important to carry that integrity, kindness, and openness out into the world long after the pipe’s gone out and cooled on the rack…

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A nicely stated thought. I lower the bar considerably as a pipe smoker. I resent being thought of as sophisticated in the usual meaning of the word. And, while I do have a bit of class, it is all second. I'm so sorry don't fit the profile, but I am comfortable around those that do, so I'll hang around a bit longer, if allowed. Maybe a bit of the sophistication will rub off on me. I do so hope I won't have to give up my pulled pork sandwiches and beer though. Will I have to obtain a birthday Dunhill to become connected? Or will I be "gifted" one when I attain the connection?
I suppose I am a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Hopefully prolonged exposure to the more sophisticated and genteel members will round my edges. I'll try and do better, don't want to let anyone of you down,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like to think Forums hones my social skills a little. Life is so hectic, and I feel so addled doing what's required

on a daily basis, it is a good to have a situation where people make an effort to share information and thoughts,

and are as careful about understanding what others are saying as they are about expressing themselves. Maybe

that's a bit of a send-up, but I suspect most of us are better for the effort. Good thoughts, quincy.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Warren, if I have to give up things like pulled pork, sweet tea, collared greens, and sip things with my pinky up I don't want to be sophisticated or a "true pipe smoker!" My point was more that it brings so many people from so many walks of life together. It doesn't matter if you smoke drugstore blends out of a cob (I do that) or esoterica blends out of a Dunhill (I do that too). Just the fact that after a long day of work I can come home, pack a pipe, and then meet and connect with people from all over the world and all walks of life because we share this one passion is truly amazing and awesome to me!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
quincy: It is impressive! You can correspond with people with similar interests all over the world. And, do so while sitting at your keyboard. The net and the computer are great inventions and the pipe helps to make it a bit less intimidating, friendlier. I understand what you are saying. Add a bit of Jameson or other adult beverages to the mix and you can really embarrass yourself . . . and not really care!
You said it well. I'm just leery of being considered "sophisticated." I tried it once, couldn't pull it off so I quit trying. I am now striving to be a fairly well educated bumpkin. I take no umbrage to the word "bumpkin" as I see myself as being a man of simple tastes and needs. As I get older I find I like "simple."
edit: I also rather like your choice of "connectionalism." Damn! My spell checker doesn't like that at all!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well put, quincy. I've met some outstanding people through the hobby. I've made friends that no other past time would have afforded. So, your points are well taken. This forum has meant a lot to me and the people on it are truly the best.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Since I took up the pipe a couple of months ago I have seen one other pipe smoker. Passing in a car!
But having joined this forum I have learned huge amounts from other members, and to take your point Quincy, it is a wonderful thing to have a common connection with all sorts of people from all sorts of places.
There is an old fashioned air of respect and patience maintained here. Which I hope never goes out of fashion.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
A sophisticate is one whose manners,ideas, tastes, etc. have been altered by education, experience etc., so as to be worldly wise, not naive. This being the first definition according to Dictionary.com. I just got home from my fiftieth high school reunion. Despite fifty years of education and experience I can assure you that the teenage me was alive and well. He had a hoot.
My two cents worth would suggest that the truly sophisticated people that I've met may know which fork to use in a fancy restaurant, but they are still in touch with the person who enjoys a beer (or several) and a big order of wings. To suppress that persona is not what I would call sophistication, but a sham, an insecure attempt to impress people who don't deserve to be impressed.
If any of we sophisticates manage to get together a wee dram of single malt will work as will a few beers while we talk about pipes in fine art or football.

It is a brotherhood that transcends... I can be at the Briary talking to someone about art, or hiking, or history for hours and then find out that it may be a trucker or carpenter or lawyer, and I am always surprised at how many doctors smoke pipes there. At most churches that I've been too, you don't find too much divergence in socioeconomics of the people. The rich tend to bond in some churches and the workers tend to bond in others. Most churches are color coded. Service clubs, tend to draw people who are more close in backgrounds as well. But, amongst pipe people, I have seen so many different colors, incomes, religions, genders, and ages all hang out and bond with nothing more than a couple of pipes between them. And, this is a unique thing to find in a place like Birmingham, Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.