Confusing Canadians (Pipe Shapes, That Is)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Straight borrowing from pipepedia, a quick guide to the Canadian family or long-shank pipes.

Canadian -- oval shank, tapered stem

Lumberman -- oval shank, saddle stem

Liverpool -- round shank, tapered stem

Lovat -- round shank, saddle stem
I think online retailers sometimes confuse these, and billiards with saddle stems but no long shanks

are sometimes called Lovats, the usual kinds of confusions about shapes. But I find these Canadian or

long shank pipes difficult to keep straight, so rather than ask, I decided to do the fact check and post

this.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
But what if the shank is rectangular(ish) with a taper? I'd still call that a Canadian.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pruss, sure, categorizing shapes is just a way to talk about pipes. Every pipe carver and brand

mixes them up in one way or another. I was just admiring a beautiful sandblast pipe with a

Dublin bowl and a long Canadian shank. The shape guide just refers to the traditional design

and doesn't pigeon hole every pipe. I'd go along with your rectangular shank Canadian, especially

if it has the billiard bowl characteristic of the shape. Real hybrids can sometimes be pegged as

freehand. I have a Johs extra large that I assumed was a brandy but then finally saw the invoice and

Mogen Johansen had categorized it as an apple, so I'll go with that. Since my wife lived in NYC for

a long time and gifted me with the pipe, I call it my Big Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.