PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
pm-cdnps-bf.png

In my last P&C I threw in a little bottle of Decatur Briar Fresh Airway Cleaner. I figured, hey, it's a cheap way to do quick maintenance on pipes.
I got it in the mail and here's what the label says:
Briar Fresh is designed to help keep your pipes smoking sweet.
Directions:
Dip a regular or bristled pipe cleaner in Briar Fresh, and run it through the airway. Follow with a dry pipe cleaner to remove built-up tars. Allow to dry at least a half hour before smoking. Not for internal use. Do not use on wood.
So I'm just a little confused. It's called Briar Fresh, but it's not to be used on wood. And I'm supposed to run the wet cleaner through the airway, but it's also not for internal use. How do all those things add up? The only logical answer is that I'm supposed to take the stem off and just use the stuff on the inside of that. How do I use this stuff? I'm sure the answer is obvious and I'm overthinking it... anyone tried it?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, I would guess the "not for internal use" is referring to your internals, not the pipe's. As for the wood part, that's a puzzler, unless they mean finished wood, suggesting it could damage the pipe's finish? Just a guess.

I typo all the thyme, ha ha.

Yeh, the name is misleading. I have one called a stem sweetener that I got from The Briary, because I'm not keen on going into liquor stores. I've run it through the stummel many times without an issue. I'm not exactly sure what damage it could do, but if it can be done, it should have happened already. YMMV

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
It's alcohol right? It means don't get it on the finish, or the stem either. You can get the same result with 151 rum or Everclear.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
That was a mistake on the part of the label designer. It was carried over from the stem polishes, which should nver be used on wood. What it should have said is: "Do not use on exterior of pipe - airway only."
Russ

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
That was a mistake on the part of the label designer. It was carried over from the stem polishes, which should nver be used on wood. What it should have said is: "Do not use on exterior of pipe - airway only."

Russ
Thank you, Russ! Straight from the source!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Quite frankly...I'd rather use just plain alcohol. The stuff doesn't really work all that great. It's decent...but result wasn't spectacular to me. Might revisit it as I have a bottle sitting. See what it does...hope you enjoy it better. If you try any of the other decatur products...let me know. Wouldn't mind knowing the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.