PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Ok, so since I've been coming here I've seen everyone saying that wipe it out, let it cool & you can smoke a Meer as often as you darned like. Which I have, of course taken as gospel.
But whilst browsing new sponsor EA Carey's site I see in their FAQ that you should only smoke it once or maybe twice day!
Wtf??!?
http://www.eacarey.com/turkishmeerschaums.html
Which is it?

Aug 14, 2012
Once or twice a day, once is better. Not having been evolved to hold water, like a briar root, meers dry out faster.

Jul 12, 2011
I smoke my Storient LVC Meer a few times a day/every day,

she is smoke'in like a charm...no worries....meer is built for

it ;-)

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
You be the judge, they are your pipes . I have smoked my meers as many as four times in a day and have had no problems. I think it depends on your smoking technique and the moisture content of your tobacco. I am a dry smoker and my tobaccos are generally on the dry side so I seldom have a moisture problem.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Meers were traditionally smoked several times a day. I have smoked mine several times a day. Never had a problem, and have never even needed to rest it like briar. You can also smoke your briars several times a day as long as you give them a few day's rest afterward. But the beauty of a meer (other than the obvious artistic merit) is that it can be smoked repeatedly, daily, without hiccups. I would, however, be sure to wipe the bowl down with a slightly moist paper towel and let it dry an hour or so between smokes, just to avoid building up much of a cake.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just read the Carey's website, and they seem pretty sure of themselves with the once or twice a day comment. I wonder why they are so adamant about it? Is there some type of theory behind this? Foggy is also in that camp and he has been smoking since the days of Methuselah so he may know something. lol

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Yeah -- a lot of people are quite sure that pipes need to be treated like fragile works of art, smoked only once every full moon and cleaned with alcohol and salt every time the stem touches your mouth. Hogwash. Briars, cobs, and meers are quite capable of being used heavily without too much problem so long as you keep them clean, rest briars and remember that a meer will break is dropped.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I tend to agree with both mangers and doctorhoss -- I've just let them cool, wiped them out and run a cleaner through, and re-filled and lit! No issues that I can see. Mind you, I also touch the bowl whenever I want, and generally just treat them like a briar!

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
Glad that you read that and brought it up .My meers are cold blooded and can be fired up over and over each day. It’s the way they effectively displace the heat. So good they tend to crack if left in the cold air for a period of time and not brought up to room temp before you fire up a bowl.

For my meers I smoke the same tobacco for various reasons. Remember no cake!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think Barkar smokes his PM2012 like 6 times a day, every day or pretty close to it. He got his a little before I got mine and the shank is dark brown now!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I smoke some of my briars 5+ times a day, every day, and have for years. My Meers I don't even think about. I will smoke it, knock out the dottle, refill it and continue on. Way too many rules etc. on what you should and should not do. Smoke er and enjoy er mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.