PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hello All,
I'm confused about the various types of tobacco, especially Virginias. For example, according tobaccoreviews.com:
Gawith's Grousemoor contains Virginia leaf only--OK, that's easy, but....
Gawith's 1792 Flake contains VA and KY with whiskey and tonquin bean flavoring (does this make it a VA aromatic?) and,
Gawith's Westmoreland contains Cavendish, VA, Latakia, and Tonquin Bean (OK...confused now--is this a VA or an English?), and
Solani 113 Mixture contains Burley, Black Cavendish, VA, and Perique (OK, really confused now!!)
Are all of the above considered "Virginias" since they contain VA tobacco?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I will do my best to break it down for you. In the most basic sense, pipe tobaccos are broken into 2 categories, base tobaccos and spice tobaccos. Your basic base tobaccos will be Virginias and Burleys. Your basic spice tobaccos will be orientals, latakia, cavendish and perique. In very general terms, a blender will start with a base tobacco and add spice tobaccos for flavor.
To make things even more confusing, there are unlimited number of virginia varieties. Depending on where the seed was grown and how it was processed will affect the taste / flavor of the final product. This stands true for all other varieties of tobacco as well.
Clear as mud?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The Gawith Virginias with tonquin and other flavorings added are generally referred to Lakeland Virginias to denote the unique toppings that they use.
Russ

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Westmoreland could probably be considered a light English, but to my taste the Lakatia is very faint, and that (and Orientals) is what typically gives a tobacco the "English" character.
I do really like it, and find it delicious. I suppose it would be my favorite "English", if it can be called that. The taste is very "herbally", and nice if you inhale a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.