PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
So I've been looking around to start my second rotation and right now I'm stuck on two manufacturers. Dr. Grabow and Baraccini are the two that I have narrowed it down to. Now given this one is going to be rustic but the plan for the rotation is half rustic and half smooth. If you had to choose between the two based on smoke ability which one would you choose of the two manufacturers?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are good with either, I'd say, but I have a distinct preference for Dr. Grabow. They are filter pipes, but you can smoke them without filters, or if you like a little more control in the airway, use a 6 mm adaptor to smoke filter-free. I especially recommend the Royaltons with acrylic stems, especially the bulldog. Dr. Grabow is the last major briar factory pipe maker in the U.S., I believe. There are certainly others, but smaller. Dr. Grabow is in Sparta, N.C., in the foothills and not too far from the Virginia line. Their pipes suggest the Dr. Grabow crafts people are true pipe people.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I've yet to own a grabow. I know a Walgreens near me that has some in stock but I am not sure what line they are. I'll have to check that out.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I have several Baraccini pipes I've picked up from P&C over the years. Some were free in package deals, but if you wait, they always put them on sale.

But I never see a Grabow sale. I have a bunch of vintage Grabows and the new ones just don't really appeal to me. All my Baraccinis are light and smoke great with the exception of the Pocket Pipe....it's just way too damn small, a real midget pipe of the first order.

Status
Not open for further replies.