PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I was an aro snob. There. I've said it out loud. I mostly gravitate towards "English Blends" and I also like burley, including codger burley. I don't eat tobacco flavored ice cream and don't smoke vanilla flavored tobacco so you can keep your sweet smelling . . .
Lawrence, however, goes on and on about his beloved Lane 1Q. Others, too, recommend 1Q and I thought it might be a nice gesture to try to find an aromatic or two that I could smoke when there was company around. I was at Queesbury Cigar and Pipe (aka Cup O Joes) last week and picked up two ounces of Lane 1Q. It was vacation time and there was a big crowd and a small porch, so I thought a "nice" smelling tobacco might be appreciated by others. (BTW, if you are in the neighborhood, Queensbury Cigar and Pipe is a great store.)
And, I must say that Lane 1Q is a pretty good smoke. OK, I confess, I like it. But, please don't tell anyone. I really still like orientals and latakia and perique. Honest I do.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have some 1-Q that should be delivered later this afternoon, so I'm looking forward to trying it for the first time.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I still smoke Blue Note on a regular basis. And 1Q is in my main rotation - regular, or mixed with Half & Half. There is nothing wrong with aromatic smokes. I, like you, tend to favor more English blends than anything. But I still have a place, albeit a small place, for my aromatic tobacco's.

Dec 24, 2012
Ghost, that is classic! :worship:
I have had 4oz of 1Q in a jar for almost a year now. I rarely smoke the stuff because, like most aros, it leaves me wanting.
This past weekend the inlaws came over and we were sitting on our patio. The wife's mother hates smoke. i lit up a pipe full of 1Q (diluted with Carter Hall) and she raved about the smell.
That said, I hate the stuff and the fricken Mother-in-Law stayed way too long. Next time I will light up 1792 when I get tired of her bullshit.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
ghost, I missed your newspaper gag when I posted above. That takes the biscuit!
In other news...
Next time I will light up 1792 when I get tired of her bullshit.
LOL -- Lakeland tobaccos as chemical warfare.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Roth, I wasn't crazy about the PS Nougat - something just wasn't there for me. My stand-bys are 1Q and Tinderbox Sunset. I also have some 4noggins Three Blind Moose that is very similar to Trout Stream.
TAD ALERT !!! 4noggins has Trout Stream!!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find a well-blended aromatic -- like Q1 or LL-7 -- in rotation, sets me up for the next bowl of Dunhill

965, Nat Sherman, or other English blend. Either aro or English exclusively is too much of the same.

Some Va/Per and Va in rotation, too; lovely stuff.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Glad my secret is safe here. Just want to let everyone know that I'm having some Nat Sherman 536 right now. I'm OK. Lane 1Q is nice, but hasn't ruined me completely.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've come around to aromatics recently as I've found Mrs Sothron genuinely likes the room note. However, I tend to cut most of them with a burley blend. I find the room note stays the same and the smoke is much improved.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OK, it's not awful (1-Q), but I don't really like it, either. And it has that lighter fluid-like aftertaste I always get from American-style aromatics. Smells nice, though.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am still searching for that perfect aromatic that tastes as good as it smells. I will continue searching. Until I find it, I am content with my Virginia, Virginia/Perique and Virginia/Burley flakes.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Altadis Basin St. Blues and MacBaren Silver Cube are 2 excellent aros.
People who only smoke one kind tobacco remind me of people who only eat corn .
nice, Igloo! I like a variety as well, in both tobacco and food :)

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Ghost- that little article is very bad ass.
Igloo- regarding your corny comment- hilarious
As for you 1Q smokers... :puffy: Well... If I had any, I'd send y'all some, and I'd even pay for shipping. :lol:
I do want to find some kind of aromatic, just not something that tastes like... "sweet".

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
1Q smells great, but it and the other Lane aromatics inevitably give me a sore throat. I've had good luck with Dan's Blue Note and Sutliff Molto Dulce. I smoke aromatics when my wife is in the room with me. I mainly smoke virginias and burlies, but a good aromatic or two is nice to have when I actually need to interact with other human beings.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I enjoy 1Q, but it's not my favorite. I've got some Firedance by CAO right now that is amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.