PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Hello everyone.
My name is Derreck, my friends call me Tinsel (long story).
I started dabbling in pipe smoking about 5 years ago, but only got serious about it a couple months ago when I gave up coffin nails. Now, I'm satisfied with just puffing my pipe and have no desire to go back to cigarettes. The pipe is just so much more enjoyable, calming, and satisfying.
In those couple months that I've been a "serious" pipe smoker, I have read many threads here. First I must say "thanks" to you guys for all the great info posted here. It's all very helpful for a new pipe smoker.
I finally decided to start a profile and join the discussion. As a first post, I thought I would add to the conversation in the most unique way that I can, by sharing my knowledge of Kentucky Dark Fired tobacco.
I live a few miles outside the town of Murray in Calloway County Kentucky, way over in the western part of the state. For those of you who have wondered where Ky Dark Fired comes from ... well, it comes from here. The overwhelming majority of KDF is produced here in western Ky, and Calloway County is atop of the production list. Even now, when I step outside my back door the smell of tobacco barns is lingering heavy in the air as the fires are burning in every barn in the county, smoking, coloring and flavoring the tobacco. How wonderful a smell it is. It's a smell I've known all my life, and those of us who live here could never forget it even if we moved far away for many years.
My family operated a small tobacco farm for generations. It was a source of supplemental income to make ends meet every year. About 13 years ago (when I was 16, I am now 29) we left the tobacco business. But the lessons it taught me as a young man shall never be forgotten. The value of a hard days work, the hardships of turning a profit from the earth, and the respect anyone who farms for a living deserves to be given.
In the final year of our tobacco production, we grew 25 acres of Kentucky Dark Fired (referred to us who live here simply as "dark fired"). The farm belonged to my grandfather, but everyone in the family played a role in the production of the crop. As young as age 6, there were jobs to do. As us "young 'uns" grew older, so did our responsibility. By age 13, you were basically a full-fledged field hand sharing a full portion of the work. It's just about the most hard, back breaking, thankless work you can imagine. Long days. Hot summers. Heavy lifting. The smell of the plant permeates your clothes, truck, skin, and your very EXISTENCE. No KDF farmer or field hand can ever deny his occupation. No matter how much showering you do, you carry that smell with you throughout the growing season. Everyone who lives in this part of the world knows that smell, and can recognize it at an instant.
I could sit for the next 3 days writing about my tobacco farm experiences (I have lots of stories), but in an effort to keep this concise I will go a different route.
There is a short film titled "Farming in the Black Patch" that was produced locally and follows a handful of local farmers through a growing season of KDF. These are men I know. Heck, EVERYONE around here knows these men. They are the "bigger" farmers in the area. With several hundred acres each (mostly corn, beans, wheat and hay), but all of them produce 20-40 acres of KDF a year.
Keep in mind that this is not typical of tobacco farmers. I personally know at least 20 different men who own small farms, grow ONLY tobacco (other than their personal vegetable gardens), and produce between 2 and 20 acres a year. So, don't make the mistake of thinking that growing KDF is only for the big commercial farms. There's more of it being grown by small time guys than the big time guys. Men who, like my grandfather did, are trying to supplement a normal full-time job and make ends meet every year. They tend the tobacco before and after their day jobs, and on weekends. Early mornings, late nights, and long weekends are the norm.
If you are interested in where KDF comes from, please take some time to watch the film. Google search for "Farming in the Black Patch"
Or alternatively, click here null
The video is divided into 3 parts and can be watched on Vimeo. The 3 parts together total just under an hour.
Keep in mind that we west Kentuckians talk a little funny, so some of you may have a hard time understanding the language.
If any of you have any questions about the production of KDF, please ask and I will answer to the best of my ability. The film probably covers the basics of KDF production better than I could, but I will be happy to help fill in the blanks.
So when you are enjoying a bowl of a fine blend with a generous portion of KDF, keep in mind that I probably know the man who grew it. Heck, if it's an old enough tin, I may have had a hand in it MYSELF :)
Ya know, it's funny that despite being surrounded by KDF, I still haven't tried any. The closest decent tobacconist to me doesn't have any in the store. I intend to order some from P&C but haven't gotten around to it. I wonder what it would be like to smoke it straight outta the barn ... ;)
... maybe I'll go ask a local farmer for a couple leaves.
Looking forward to everyone's responses :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey tinsel, welcome to the forums, and I hope you enjoy your time here as so many of us do.
Thanks for posting a little of your history, and the history of dark fired tobacco. While I have to admit that Kentucky Dark Fired is not something that I seek out too much, I find myself drawn to G L Pease's Cumberland blend. I still have a few ounces of it from the 2005 stock that I quite like and smoke it from time to time. For me it's quite strong in the nic department, but has great flavors that I love to sip on in a small bowl.
Hope to hear more from you in the future! :puffy:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I watched it a while back, very interesting especially the parts about just how vulnerable it can be as a crop. Thanks to all the good folks that bring us that wonderful stuff.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum ... great intro and first post! :)
I love DFK in my pipe tobacco and cigars both. I've been buying Kentucky Cheroots for a long time.
Recently, I obtained some whole leaf DFK and used it as a wrapper on my ropes / twists:
15%2B-%2B1

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Yes gloucesterman, its a very fragile plant and several acres can be destroyed in an instant. I recall us losing many acres to hail, high winds, excessive rains, tobacco worm infestations, etc.
One thing that the film missed, though, is the frequency of barn fires. During firing season, hardly a week goes by that someone in the county doesn't lose a barn full of baccy to a fire. My heart aches for them every time as I remember the feeling of seeing all that hard work burned to the ground.
As it turns out, lighting fires inside a building made of wood is dangerous for the building...

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Between Peter Thomas' incomparable narration, my mother's heritage of growing up in Kentucky, and the hint of watching The Modern Farmer when I was a kid, the videos practically made me cry. It would be good to hear some stories of the farming for dark fired. Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This link might be easier to use: https://vimeo.com/54276866
Thanks for the post; looking forward to watching the rest of the videos. Spent some time in Boone County, peeked in to a couple of barns, no fires at the time.
Dark fired is burley, no? Are there min or max nicotine requirements by the purchasers?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Keep in mind that we west Kentuckians talk a little funny, so some of you may have a hard time understanding the language.
I didn't have any problems understanding those guys, but I'm an Owensboro native so......
Welcome to the forum tinsel, good to see you here and hope to hear a lot more from your perspective in the future.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tinsel:
Please hang around and don't be shy banging away on the keyboard.
You write well with a strong voice.
Your post and a chunk of that video taught me more about DKF than I knew before I started this thread. (Great catch on the Peter Thomas narration, Spencer. And, thank you, Jpmcwjr, for the video.)
Fnord

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
IMO Dark Fired Kentucky is the Emperor of Tobaccos. What espresso coffee is to the dishwater which is everything else.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Thanks for the links, Tinsel. Drop by often. :D

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Tinsel, Can you talk some of how the product is marketed and or sold? I know Burley farmers enter in to a contract with Big Tobacco before they plant their seed. At the end of the season Big Tobacco finds a hundred reasons why the tobacco is sub grade and then reduces the farmers payment.
How does it work with Dark Fired?

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Welcome aboard Tinsel! Great to see another agriculture man here. I'll give your video a watch some time. I will agree that supplemental crops are something small farms do to make ends meet and big farms do for "fun". Maple syrup is the big supplemental crop here, I myself do some beekeeping. Most likely do both in a few years.

ffsinval

Lurker
Sep 10, 2015
Welcome, Tinsel. You have a good writing and a very interesting point of view about tobacco!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome aboard, Tinsel. Part of my youth was spent on a tobacco farm and most of my growing years was in South Carolina tobacco country. We grow flue cured tobacco aka brights or Virginia, almost exclusively. My Dad grew up on a Maryland tobacco farm. He worked hard to get away from the back-breaking work and threatened to kick my *ss if he caught me in the fields.
I know you've heard the expression, close the door, do you live in a barn?
Well, I had an aunt and uncle who literally lived in a tobacco barn. They partitioned off half of it for a kitchen and living area. The other half was the sleeping area. They cordoned off space for privacy by hanging blankets over strung rope, separating an area for the boys, the girls and the parents. Water was from a hand pump in the back yard - not unusual for the time and place. Chamber pots were used at night during cold weather or during rain, and an out house was used during good weather.
Most of the food was grown on the farm, including vegetables, fruit and pork. I helped them dig many a potato. It was common for extended families to get together, including the kids, to help with the harvests. Canning vegetables and fruits for the winter was a fall activity that took days. Mason jars are not just for tobacco.
Hunting and fishing was done for food, not just sport.
I'm happy to have lived the country life but I would not want the stress of having to provide for a family by farming. It wasn't unusual for a farmer to take out a loan against his house, then put all the money in the ground in the form of seed, fertilizers, and insecticides. If it didn't rain, the crops burned. If it rained too much, the crops drowned. If the weather was good, the bugs might eat the crops. And if everyone skated and harvested a bountiful crop, the market might drop the prices so low that no money could be made.
Look forward to seeing you on the boards, Tinsel.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome, Tinsel :D

Great article and your love and pride in your family really shines through. I have watched the vid in the past but will go back and review it again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dark fired is a burley tobacco, no?
Are there minimum or maximum nicotine requirements by the purchasers? (And if you can say, who are the purchasers?)

Status
Not open for further replies.