Condorlover Gave Me A 35 Year Old Tin Of Balkan Sobranie

(27 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by shaintiques
  • Latest reply from sailorjeremy
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, you read that right. It was a sealed 4oz tin and though the aged BS is rare, the 4oz tins are especially rare. My birthday is tomorrow too! I started a thread awhile back, the gist of which asked the question of what would you do if someone gave you something just like this. Do you sell it for the $1000 it would reap on ebay or crack it open and smoke it. Well this afternoon I did the latter. And yes it is very good. I took a video of me opening it. If you want to see it go to Facebook.com/ThePipery. I don't know how to post videos on here. I made sure to wear my Pipesmagazine shirt too.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi buddy, ol' pal, ol' friend, ol' mate, ol' chum!!!! Ya lucky bum, ya!!!!

You did the right thing, man. Color me envious!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. masspiper

masspiper

Login to Send PM

That was a awesome gesture from Condor. Enjoy it as I am sure you will.

What the heck is a Frog Morton? Who cares tastes great!!!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow that is amazing, the pipe project is bringing you good deeds rewarded. That would easily go for 1000$ on ebay. I'd have trouble cracking that tin.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

6. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super cool.

"There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live."

-Molière
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the size tin I used to buy on the 1970's. Ah, the memories. That is a very generous gesture by Condor. Enjoy it slowly.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This is so GREAT!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He told me that it was mixed with Condor!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Condor is also the fellow who brings back Euro baccy for folks, correct? One good member treating another good member right, it's good to see.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes same guy, he only smokes Condor. And he has not only given me this tin but some beautiful 1920's era Meers. I smoked the first bowl in a Meer Canadian with Amber stem. I will post that video too. Sadly there is not enough to go around forum wide, but I have contacted a few fellows that have been extremely generous to me over the years and they will get a few bowls.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very generous of Simon. Thanks for posting the video of the opening -- that was way cool.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke it in good health and remember, I bought a pipe off you once, 'member? Lol.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Awesome gift! Congrats and Happy Birthday.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Awesome gift! Congrats and Happy Birthday.

+1

I couldn't think of a more deserving person to be the recipient of such generosity, not even moi.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Awesome! Congrats.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sadly there is not enough to go around forum wide,

Trust me, savor it, you deserve it. Funny thing I saw a 100 gram tin on ebay and had a buy it now price of 35$, and from the pics the plastic top was on, and the listing stated that the value was in the empty tin. When I enquired well are the contents still in it, I got this "READ THE DESCRIPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" response from this person who's like "we strive for 100% approval rating". So I stated it was a very vague description, as most people would simply state empty tin of balkan sobranie, and most likely have a picture of the empty tin, not with the lid on. I guess she probably got a few 1000 questions about it. I just found it quite a rude response. Usually when it says the value is in the empty tin that's code for there's tobacco in it, it's just you're buying it for the tin to abide by ebay rules of selling tobacco in a tin.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will tell you what is impressive about this. The fact that shaintiques was so damn calm in the video, lol. I would have been shaking and trembling like a junkie. Well done sir and well deserved! Cheers to you Condor.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just watched a 50 gram tin of this blend not that old sell for $75 on ebay

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What would you have said if a large spring loaded snake had popped out of the tin? Happy Birthday David and may you have many more to come. That tobacco is wasted on me as I would just mix it with Condor so it made someones day special. I am sure if you are ever so nice Dave will sell you a dime bag of the stuff!

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As an after thought I have a 2 oz one and an unopened tin of 759 if anyone is interested. PM when I return at month end and not before. If you make a donation to a Saint of my choice in my late Mothers name you own the stuff!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, great video for one. You looked like you were a giddy school kid opening that and rightly so. Not to mention that beautiful back ground. Is that where you live? I am now jealous on two fonts. That amazing tobacco and that amazing location. Enjoy it as I'm sure you will!

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A generous gesture to be sure. Congrats. I totally agree - you did the right thing. This is the sort of experience one only has once.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow!

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shaintiques looks just plain mesmerized peering into this relic of the past. hehehe He was speechless a time or two. The Condorman has struck again. The real joy is seeing such appreciation of the gifts we spread.

When Native American Indians offered a gift, it was considered rude to not accept. Some folks just cant seem to accept a gift(I will allow them to return my investment if they insist). When folks accept a gift they are also showing their own unselfishness.
    Looks good on both of you! Great video!

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I just watched that video. I'm damned glad that you didn't drop that tin of tobacco!

One another note, I just turned magenta! Is there a pill that I can take for that?

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. sailorjeremy

sailorjeremy

Login to Send PM

Thats F**king awesome!!! Heres the first smoke

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=681348145279918&set=vb.184513381630066&type=2&theater

~ Jeremy "Doc"

"This is not recreation, this is therapy. This is essential... I consider the tobacco I put in my pipe all the grief and suffering. And I will burn it.”- US Navy Chaplain (RET) A.P. Sholtes
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sablebrush52, dino, condorlover1