PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I picked one of these up on a whim the other day as I'd never tried a plug before and it's the only one I know of that comes in 25 grams, and so cheap enough as a tester. I understand it's widely available only in Ireland (where it's considered an OTC) and comes wrapped simply like an oversized square mint. The tin note (or I suppose packet note) is of pickled flowers, in a nice way, and the taste is big, dark, oily, with more floral hints and a underlying savouriness that seems to come and go. Nicotine arrives with a thud. I need to smoke a few more bowls to get a proper sense of it but so far it's...interesting.
Furthermore, although I've never smoked an SG/G&H, I wonder is there a Lakeland influence at work here? The floral tones are definitely there, and it leaves a curious waxiness on the back of my tongue that falls somewhere between a flavour and a sensation and may well be that soapy, perfumey Lakeland signature I've heard so much about. Having no point of comparison I just can't tell.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I envy you both. Would love to get my hands on some. Maybe I'll buy a plug with my next order.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I just tried to see if I could find some on line with out any luck.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@rothnh
Thanks for that, good to have some direct Lakeland experience at last. And I have indeed dedicated an MM to it, I was lucky enough to come across that proviso somewhere else before loading it into my nice latakia Pete!

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I have only smoked Condor once. It is definitely a stout blend with the Lakeland essence and I imagine the plug concentrates this even more. I am not a fan of the "Oul Auntie Sadie's" perfume blends, I can tolerate them but don't buy them as they would not be a go-to tobacco.
But the answer to your question is yes. If you like the essence and have not tried SG and especially the G&H blends then you are definitely missing out. They would be the Kings of Lakeland. Ennerdale and Conniston Cut Plug from G&H are good examples but there are loads more. From SG, they use another famous Lakeland essence, tonquin bean - found in their 1792 Flake.
But also don't make the mistake that all their blends have the Lakeland essence. SG Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake are 2 of the finest straight virginias in the world IMHO, which is why I would like to get my hands on their new season blends ;). St James's Flake is one of the finest VaPer's in the world also.
This link will take you to Lakeland Essence discussions on this forum:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lakeland+essence+site%3Apipesmagazine.com%2Fforums%2F&oq=lakeland+essence+site%3Apipesmagazine.com%2Fforums%2F&aqs=chrome..69i57.18485j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8
If you want to try some out, I recommend www.smoke-king.co.uk (no affil). They sell 5g sample packs. Whilst working out slightly more expensive per gram, you could get 10 samples instead of one full pack, which will give you a good grounding in the flavours.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks for the links reborn. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Lakeland now I've tried but it does strike me as the kind of flavour that would grow on you, rather than immediately split you asunder with its deliciousness - like tobacco itself I suppose. Also love the idea of a few samplers, as I'm still new to the pipe I'm trying as many different blends as I can.
New seasonal blends from SG eh? Etch it in stone, lest we forget ;)

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Starting out trying lots of new blends can be a steep (and expensive) learning curve. There is such a variety of tobacco available. At £1.80 per sample, you get enough for 2-3 bowls. So a great way to narrow down your search.
I have got over that initial mountain climb and have now settled myself down to less than 10 blends I would normally smoke.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Just checked the site, and smoke-king will not send any products outside the UK! If you ever want any, PM me and I can get them sent here and forwarded on to you.

May 31, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwFRZXUA4

condor.jpg

Condor is the business!
I like your description... The tin note (or I suppose packet note) is of pickled flowers, in a nice way, and the taste is big, dark, oily, with more floral hints and a underlying savouriness that seems to come and go. Nicotine arrives with a thud.
Good stuff and so true, I've only had the plug so I can't compare with RR or Flake, but I also got an underlying fruitiness, and perhaps a little anise, in the big bottomed depths that is, the top high note is somewhat floral though, but like St. Bruno, I think it's simply impossible to describe the flavor profile, it's quite unique and I think unto itself --- the Lakeland scented style may be close, but not as penetratingly deep imo, Condor goes deepest to the full fathom!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I have to agree. I think the term "pickled flowers" is about the best description I've ever come across.
The first time I smoked Condor, I thought "What the @#$% is this?". Never tasted anything like it, nor ever imagined anyone would conjure up anything like it. Nothing like any other tobacco out there, and even though I try to compare to other blends, nothing is really all that close. My first puff was in a Peterson P-Lip.
What got me hooked was a 4 day weekend where I had my pipe, and nothing but a can of MacBarren Virginia No. 1 (which I really don't like, but it's all I had at the time). My Uncle was visiting and he had brought many packs of Condor Ready Rubbed. I mooched off of him all 4 day weekend. Many bowls we smoked together. He explained that most dyed-in-the-wool pipe smokers in the UK smoke this stuff exclusively. By the end of his visit, I was completely hooked and in a jones to get more. Once I got back, my pipe was so ghosted it was as if every thing I smoked teased me with the flavor, but didn't quite satisfy. I ended up buying tons of the stuff online and hoarding it.
This is a man's tobacco is all I can say. Not for boys, little girls, or the faint of heart. It may be floral, but it's more like a bunch of flowers compressed into a hard brick and smashed into your forehead until you beg for your mama bleeding and the flowery room note is the perfume of the sexy nurse healing you back into shape so you can go for another round.
I love it and can't get enough. Truly exceptional.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@ misterlowercase
Love that old ad, great find! The flavour is indeed almost impossible to describe, just as I had found descriptions of Lakeland to be almost impossible to understand until I had a mouthful of it from Condor.
@bryanf
Well said, and spot on. It's meaty stuff and no mistake. As you know yourself I mean 'floral' strictly in the sense of a bedraggled funeral wreath plucked from an old man's gravestone on a rainy day in a Longford cemetery. In the tastiest possible way.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Condor plug is an interesting animal that requires you carry a scalpel to cut the stuff up and heaven forbid it dries out then you will need a pocket band saw. I broadly agree with what the reviewer says. If you grew up with it all other strands of condor would be viewed a tame. As an after thought has anyone here tried the Condor Mild? I am curious to see what the world thinks of that one.

craigmillar

Lurker
Mar 1, 2014
I'm originally from the north of Ireland and the tobacco of choice for the old guys was Condor plug or Warhorse plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.