PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Phonomet was generous enough to send me a sample of Condor Green Ready Rubbed. Here are my thoughts.
Pouch note/aroma- I spent the most time smelling this as I have any other blend ever. One second I get liquid smoke, the next citrus, the next tonquin, the next mentholatum, I give it a shake... And berries and vanilla. What the heck?
I loaded this in my Stephen Downie blasted prince using the three step method.
Initial light and thoughts- buttery and fragrant. Reminds me of St Bruno. It does have a perfume like undertone. Not in your face lakeland soapy, but a more delicate taste. There is a cool refreshing feeling on the palate, is there a menthol constituent to this?
1st third of the bowl - Initials thoughts are mimic'd here. It's like a party on my palate mixed with a cold winter breeze. Truly complex melange of flavors intermixed. At this point I don't think I could smoke this everyday, but it is very fun. A gem of a brain teaser. It is so different that I would not be ashamed calling it wonderful every so often as a change of pace smoke. We shall see if this keeps up or if my palate and brain get too fatigued farther into the bowl.
I really think this is St Bruno with a topping/s. I would bet money on it!
More to follow. Stay tuned.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
2nd third of the bowl - This flavor is mind boggling. Who wants to sell me more? Seriously. This is a perfect blend to refresh you palate after putting yourself in a blue mountain coma. Absolutely superb. I disagree with those that put this on the same level as the G&H lakelands, this is on a higher level. My wife just got home. In passing she says the room note smells of burnt mungfruit. Isn't it always true that the blends that taste the best always smell the worst.
Stay tuned for the final third and my conclusion.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've found the RR to be very mild compared to the Long Cut. LC has more of the storied soapiness to my palate. Still a treat but one that is only once in a while.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
First time I have heard mungfruit used as a descriptor. Not ashamed to say I had to google it.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
That is awesome!
Last third of the bowl - The Kentucky raw tobacco comes through the front and the other flavors take a back seat, except the menthol coolness. A truly wonderful journey.
Phonomet gifted me enough for two bowls. I will cellar the other bowl and revisit on a rainy day. If this blend was easily attainable, I would add pouches to my cellar. I am a condor lover.
Thank you again phonomet. This has been on my 'to try' list for years.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Have been smoking a pouch of it I bought in Lanzarote, yuk, sent it to the Condor dustbin in the sky.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@kimbiker: I would hazard a guess you have been smoke the 'El Condor' or the Spanish stuff and believe you me there is a difference between the Spanish stuff and the British OTC/Duty Free Condor including the cut of the tobacco and the packet aroma.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
You would be right condor. It was the Spanish variety. I didn't think it was that distastesful the last time I had Condor (about 15 years ago).
I shall know better next time, thanks.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I purchased a bunch of it for the guys on the forum from a Spanish wholesale house. It was absolutely horrible. The topping was different and the cut of the tobacco was very different and apparently it was configured to suit local tastes. Strangely some people here didn't notice the difference but I guess it is because I have been smoking the stuff for so long.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
How can I tell the difference between the Spanish stuff and the "real" stuff? Are the packages different?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The health warning is in Spanish and the package is a tad shorter than the UK OTC pouches, the tobacco cut and grade is different and not as dark - unless you smoke this stuff by the truck load you wouldn't really notice it that much on the whole.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've had the long cut. I find it to be an interesting smoke. The underlying tobacco is very good, I find it reminiscent of old dark fired. The base tobacco in St. Bruno is not as nice in my opinion.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mr Snuff is fine and I have purchased stuff from him on behalf of forum members before and never had any complaints. The only issue I have is that he doesn't carry Condor Plug. The flake is in my opinion almost fire proof but then I have never been overly keen on the flake personally.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@thehappypiper: An interesting statement. Have you had regular exposure to Condor and then moved 'states side' or something of that nature?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
From Condorlover1:

@kimbiker: I would hazard a guess you have been smoke the 'El Condor' or the Spanish stuff and believe you me there is a difference between the Spanish stuff and the British OTC/Duty Free Condor including the cut of the tobacco and the packet aroma.

I purchased a bunch of it for the guys on the forum from a Spanish wholesale house. It was absolutely horrible. The topping was different and the cut of the tobacco was very different and apparently it was configured to suit local tastes. Strangely some people here didn't notice the difference but I guess it is because I have been smoking the stuff for so long.

I wrote JTI (Condor's mother company) asking if there was a difference between the Spanish marketed Condor and the U.K. and this was the reply:

Good morning,
Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that Condor Ready Rubbed made for the UK market and Spanish Market are the same product.
We do hope you will continue to enjoy smoking Condor as we value your custom greatly.
Kind regards,
Sacha
Sacha Fernandes

Consumer Services Executive

Consumer Services
JTI UK

Okay, I just wanted to nip this rumor in the bud as I came across this thread after purchasing 15 pouches of Condor RR marketed to Spain and it freaked me out as I thought I had an inferior product. Not true! They are one in the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.