PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zecezar

Lurker
Jan 25, 2013
Hi everybody,
I'm a novice pipe smoker here in Thailand, I recently bought a Banbury straight pipe and because of the lack of choice I opted for a pouch of aromatic, 7 seas gold blend.

I think the tobacco was too moist and lacking of hindsight I thought it was normal for an aromatic. It was of course very hard to keep lit, I got some of this disgusting sour condensation in my mouth that left me with sensitive teeth.
Even after changing for a drier less aromatic tobacco such as Borkum Riff original I still get some condensation. The pipe tends to get easily hot even though I try to smoke as slowly as possible. The lacquer on the outside has cracked and left a little dent. There is also this "metal filter" some people advise to remove I wonder about. In brief I am planning to buy a pipe of better quality, I am thinking about a Churchwarden maybe a Peterson, do you think it would help with my condensation problem?

What should I do with that metal piece?

Has anyone ever had teeth problems due to pipe smoking?
Thanks

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
So first off I guess my advice is to stay away from drug store tobacco. BorkumRiff is horrible stuff. McBarens Seven Seas is honestly not that much better. I have been trying to get through a pouch of their blue now for over a month. It has no flavour and is hard to keep lit. There are sooo many more tobbaco's out there to try that use quality leaf and blending techniques. The other advice I would give you is that a good used pipe is better than a crappy new pipe. I am not saying your pipe is crappy please don't get me wrong but in the effort to start in this hobby right, try a well known name. Stanwell, Savanelli, Peterson are all mid price pipes that can be had under estate sites for a song. In many cases the same price as a poor new pipe. Save that, pick up a corncob they smoke better than heavily laquered chinese pipes again for under $10.00. Failing all that, condensation is a physical reaction between air and heat or cold. Some shapes do better under both conditions and will offer less condensation. Peterson system pipes were designed to eliminate most if not all condensation and gurgle problems. I swear by a high end estate pipe and a quality tobacco though and would start there.
Piper

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
Piper gives good advice the only thing i might add is to try letting your tobacco dry for a little bit before smoking.I have never heard of that pipe name but I am off to look into it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Dry the tobacco out for a VERY LONG TIME.
Sounds like yours is super goopy. Leave it out for a few hours then try again. With non aros the normal drying time if its too wet is about a half houor. The goopy aros tend to take a heck of a lot longer. Overnight in some extreme cases. But you don't want to smoke something that you have to dry out overnight.
Once you get a better pipe you'll enjoy your smokes more.
There are plenty of good petes at reasonable prices. If I had to choose a pipe to start out with right now I'd go for a Tsuge. There's about $40-$70 and from what I hear they are a great value. Gonna pick one up for myself here pretty soon.
Happy Smoking and welcome to the forums.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah... the whole tobacco juice making your teeth sensative through me for a loop. Never heard of that.
+1 Cortezattic

See a dentist!

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
BorkumRiff is horrible stuff

This is a matter of opinion, I happen to enjoy Borkum Riff Original. I don't think it's your tobacco. Try a better quality pipe or a M&M cob might make the difference. Sounds like you have a poor engineered pipe that is smoking wet and causing hot steam causing your problem. I would lose the metal filter, every pipe I have had that had one smoked hot and wet until I removed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.