PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

Lurker
Nov 11, 2015
Hello all, I've recently rediscovered my pipe smoking hobby and began experimenting with non-aromatics. After years of reading about Dunhill and McClelland Latakia blends, I eagerly traveled to my nearest tobacconist with a mental list of all the classic tins I wanted to purchase. However, upon arrival I realized their selection of tins was quite picked over that weekend, and eventually settled on some bulk blends at the request of the clerk (Straus Tobacconist in downtown Cincinnati keeps absolutely top notch bulk blends on hand for anyone wondering). I picked up some of my favorite aromatics, and then an ounce of Balkan Supreme, which I believe is blended by Peter Stokkbeye. I was skeptical, as I had never heard of it and was really more interested in a "classic" English rather than a Balkan. Regardless, I was happy to be trying Latakia. In the jar at the store I thought it smelled very lightly smoky with a sweet note. I don't know how that's possible, as when I got this bad boy home, something else happened entirely. Without even opening the ziplock, the powerful smokiness was seeping out and filling the room. I finally opened and took another whiff, and...wow. It was as if I had stuck my entire face into a meat smoker. It smelled exactly like a local butchery that smokes beef brisket in mass quantities outside. There was absolutely no sweetness, not even a burning firewood note. Just pure smoke, with a meaty hint. I was genuinely worried. I seriously considered throwing it out and starting smaller. I left for work, and when I came back that night, my entire room smelled like barbecue exhaust had been pumped in. Anyway, long story short, I waited about a week before I smoked this blend, when it finally calmed down into a less meaty, more leathery smoky smell. After another week or so, I was in love. Unfortunately, it dried out very quickly and lost almost all character in approximately one month. So I set out for another Latakia mixture.
Here is where I'm perplexed. I got on P&C and ordered a tin of Dunhil EMP. I was excited for a more mellow Latakia experience. Instead, upon opening I got a huge face full of rotten fruit, cabbage, and the slightest leather, but only with a little drying. I was dumbfounded. What a stark difference. So next I tried Frog Morton. Drove over the river to Straus' Kentucky location to get this one. Upon opening, nothing but that weird Mclelland smell, with no strong meat smoke or firewood. Now I was a little frustrated. I decided I would break out the big guns next. I went out and bought a tin of Nightcap, thinking I would solve this. No such luck. I find the tin note and taste very similar to EMP; rotten ferment smell, slight leather.
So now I come to you, the experts, in search of answers. I have never seen anyone describe Nightcap as anything other than strong and smoky. What am I missing? Shouldn't the Cyprian Latakia in all of these blends bring a similar character? Is it the influence of the orientals in the Balkan that's giving it so much body? Is there really such a fundamental difference between an English and a Balkan? I was under the assumption that the difference was negligible. Any suggestions on another tobacco that will be similar to my original experience?

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
hello.
I'm no expert but being a fairly new smoker, I wanted to answer.
I've learned that even though two blends may have the same tobaccos in them, the percentages, the blending technique and other details directly influence every aspect of the tobacco. I don't know about your room smelling like latakia, but to answer your cyprian latakia question, I can give you that. plenty of better informed folks around here than me, I'm sure they'll provide further details. :puffpipe:
oh, and for a mellow latakia blend, I'm smoking a bowl of samuel gawith's chocolate flake as I type this, and just realized that it contains latakia :lol: you can give it a try if you'd like to, but it may be even more mellow than you'd like :puffy:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Could be differences in ratios in the blends. If I may suggest some of my favorites,

G.L. Pease - Sextant, Gaslight

C&D - Black Frigate, Mountain Camp

H&H- Ten to Midnight

Captain Earls- Nightwatch
All very good in my opinion, strong, Smokey & very tasteful

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
A thought the smokiness bothers you? Just smoke it? My experience and great example 5100 red cake by mccelland reeks of ketchup/vinegar but smokes sweet and delicious. Sometimes the smell of the tobacco is deceptive don't base all on tin/bag notes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Olfactory receptor tend to change with age and that may be something you are experiencing. Maybe moving slowly back to full latakia blends is a solution. Something like Frog Morton On The Town is what I would call a cross-over because of the sweetness of the Basma in it. Also, the re-released John Cotton blends would make a good transition. John Cotton and John Cotton 1&2 are delightful and will be available sometime in January. Good luck to you.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Honestly I wouldn't get hung up on the tin note.....it's more important to me how it tastes when I smoke it. Anything you buy in a plastic bag put in a mason jar; this keeps the volatile elements in the tobacco and not floating in your room and also will help keep the tobacco from drying out. I smoke EMP and pick up some leather and smoke notes but it's more evident in blends like Dunhill 965 which also has a little sweetness from the brown cavendish. Cyprian Latakia's flavors can be enhanced or minimized by what other tobaccos it is blended with and the proportions of the blend. It's just a matter of finding what blends sing to your tastes.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
One further note from personal experience as a beginner it takes awhile to find the packing method and smoking pace that works best for you to get the most flavor out of a blend. Even pipe choice can effect how the flavors come out of the tobacco as it is smokes. Pipe smoking is a journey with lots of roads and everyone has a different map to get to smoking nirvana.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you've been smoking aromatics and wish to get your toes wet, as it were, with Latakia blends I'd most definitely go with something like 'Bald Headed Teacher' to ease into into Latakia blends. I remember when I first took a whiff of Latakia and I thought it abhorrent! Strange how our olfactory senses vary as I first thought it smelled of burnt plastic Band Aids and god only knows what! However, now Latakia blends are my most favorite blends and the aforementioned smells that I had are completely gone. If by chance you try the 'Bald Headed Teacher' and it seems agreeable, which I'm very confident that it will as it's very close to being an aromatic with the Latakia content being somewhat of an afterthought, I would next try something like Dunhill My Mixture 965 (one of my favorites) or possibly Squadron Leader. Also, for what it's worth, never judge the taste of any blend by the char light, but give it a chance to get going and you might very well be surprised.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Shouldn't the Cyprian Latakia in all of these blends bring a similar character? Is it the influence of the orientals in the Balkan that's giving it so much body? Is there really such a fundamental difference between an English and a Balkan? I was under the assumption that the difference was negligible.
EMP is an oriental-forward, light on the lat blend.

Frog Morton is a cross-over English; again,very light on the lat,and topped with a sauce I don't care for at all.

Nightcap is a lat bomb with a healthy dose of perique.
All of these are totally different critters than a fairly full Balkan like PS Balkan Supreme. Try things like Hearth & Home White Knight, Black House, and Larry's Blend, or McClelland Blue Balkan. Dunhill Durbar might also fit the bill. Open one tin at a time and get to know it. Have fun. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Granted that I cannot know exactly what your initial experience was, but it does sound like the tobacco was similar to Sutliff Blend No.5, or Tinderbx Sherlock's Choice. Both of these are smoky, meaty Latakia blends that I am familiar with. I am also fond of C&D Sweet English, which is a Latakia blend with a caramel topping that smells exactly like rotting meat but tastes awesome, lol. Peter Stokkebye Proper English might also be to your liking.

The gamut of Latakia based blends is astounding. My first was Dunhill 965, which is still a favorite. Only recently, I became enamored with Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. And I enjoy all the Frog Morton's blends, especially Frog Morton's Cellar.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Here are a few I think are knock outs including a few already mentioned. These range from light to stronger with Cellar and Yenidje Highlander being very light on the lat:

H&H Blackhouse

H&H White Knight

H&H Fuslier's Ration

Frog Morton Cellar

McClelland's Yenidje Highlander

McClelland's Balkan blue

MacBaren Vintage Syrian

McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian
Also Gl Pease has a ton of great Lat blends but I haven't smoked enough of them to comment.
In addition to what's been mentioned above about the ratios of tobacco affecting the taste so too does the size of the pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've smoked many Pease blends, and can say they are all excellent. Not all are lat. blends, but over a dozen are. I like Quiet Nights best so far.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Agree with rigmedic1.
If PS Balkan Supreme was to your liking, you should give PS Proper English a go.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
I just don't think these 'English' blends suit me. Read the reviews just received Presbytarian and Erinmore Balkan. I have tried the Presb' and I just don't like anything about it. Not opened the Balkan yet.
I feel I must go back to my aro's, virginia's, burleys!

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Just opened the Erinmore, well nice. Crikey I'm confused, is it the orientals in the Balkan? Both classed as English but totally different in my opinion.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome aboard. Look at all the great information that came from your questions. Many of us win. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.