PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
so i was sitting on the balcony of this coffee house smoking my pipe and having a cup of coffee, when this lady came out to smoke(michigan is smoke free state), she saw my pipe and said "youre smoking a pipe?" then she preceded to say how good it smelled and that i smoke because i enjoy it and not because im addicted. then we had a nice conversation for about the next 20 minutes or so it felt pretty cool to be complimented for smoking a pipe by a total stranger

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
and it was nice to be talked to as an adult. im only 18, but depending on if i shave or not i could pass as older. most people speak to me like a child, while i may be young im quite smart and capable of an intellegent conversation. so it was nice to be spoken to as an equal

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think it's safe to say that we're all "addicted" to pipe smoking. 8)

There's nicotine in there somewhere after all. lol

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So was it a cup of coffee or a CUP OF COFFEE wink wink lol (only funny if you're a fan of Eddie Izzard). I usually get compliments as well when smoking a pipe in public. It's definitely nice to be treated as an equal.

Jul 15, 2011
Whenever the girlfriend and I are over at her very cute friends house, she always compliments me not only on the smell but the fact that my large glasses and my pipe make me look rather smart. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Uberam3rica, I believe that if you carefully choose what it is you smoke in public, you will almost always elicit positive reactions to your pipe. I have been smoking pipes for more than 35 years, and have very seldom had a negative reaction to my pipe. As mentioned above, people are predisposed to thoughts of a relative (father, uncle, grandfather) associated with the "warm and fuzzies".
I hope this is the first of many such experiences.

:puffy:

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Get compliments all the time and I smoke mostly english blends......... The best thing we can do when complimented is to try to strike up a conversation with the complimentors. It's one way we can discuss pipe smoking, making people aware of the fact that it's something we enjoy and that although there is a lot of bad press about smoking and second hand smoke, it never tends to be as bad as the anti's say it is.
I've also had people strike up a conversation about the pipes themselves and love talking pipes with everyone that appears interested.
It is great to be talked to as an adult and equal as well.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
It's always fun to receive a compliment about the pipe/tobacco, especially if iit comes from the fairer sex. I have heard everything from "That smells really nice" to "It reminds me of my grandpa" and pretty much everything in between.
I was recently reminded of the time a lady from South America, Guatemala perhaps, approached me to ask my advice about something because she said "The smart man smokes the pipe, no?"

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
It does feel nice when a stranger compliments you. No one would ever do that with cigarette smoke.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It feels nice when anyone compliments you... Lawrence brings up a good point about blend selection. What were you smoking?
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
One reason I typically smoke aros in my "out and about" pipe. I get nothing but compiments on the smell. Some people seem to like that I challenge the norm by choosing a pipe. I look my age (38) when my full beard is in. If I shave clean, I look about 15.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I look my age (38) when my full beard is in. If I shave clean, I look about 15.
Ha, this sounds like me. I'm 39 and normally have a goatee or some sort of facial hair. A couple years back I shaved it all off and a coworker, who saw me the next day, said, "Dude, you look like a kid!"
Anyway, I took my pipe camping this weekend and was enjoying a little Trout Stream and one of my fellow campers noted how good it smelled. Yes, yes it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.