PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I just got a call from a friend of mine; apparently the[y] are doing bus tours of the path of destruction from the Joplin tornado. They even had the bad taste to stop in front of a rebuilt house and yell questions at the lady who was outside watering her new rose bushes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I can see someone recognizing an opportunity, in these times...

But, some things are just plain unacceptable.

Making a buck off of someone else's misery...

Despicable.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Human beings can be cruel man. Its the same reason that every time I'm on a bad scene at work there is always a curious crowd.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My wife and I were born and raised in Joplin and although we've lived in Kansas for the last 14 years, Joplin will always be our hometown. We had to relocate Susie's parents to Topeka because their home was four blocks west of St. John's hospital - ground zero, if you will. My in-laws were buried in their basement closet for almost an hour before neighbors were able to dig them out. Two friends were killed in their home not more than fifty yards from my in-laws back door and the list just goes on and on concerning the lives destroyed, rearranged and turned upside down by that storm. It was grace that only 163 people were killed.
Draw a mental image of your community and then erase a third of it. That's what happened to Joplin.
While I preach capitalism, hard work and hustling to make a buck to my sons I could just as easily walk up to that tour operator and give him the beating of his life. Despicable is just the right word, Lawrence.
Joplin is very much a blue collar town with roots tracing back to the late 1800s when zinc mines employed so many of the area workers. Unlike other communities there is a strong work ethic that was evident within hours of the storm passing through. A FEMA worker commented to a friend, "Does everybody in this city have their own front loader and bulldozer?" Rather than wait for the government to move in and coordinate the cleanup the residents dug out their neighbors and then started clearing the streets so emergency and service vehicles could get through.
There were a few funny moments in the aftermath - a bit dark perhaps, but they still made me laugh. Joplin has its share of trash and several took advantage of the situation and started looting. When they were apprehended by civilians the looters were roped or duck taped to trees & utility poles, had signs placed around their necks identifying them as looters - one guy even Sharpied "LOOTER" on a scumbag's forehead - and were left in place until the police could attend to them, oftentimes 8 to 10 hours later. A friend on the police force told me that one of his fellow cops drove by his own destroyed house and saw a lady walking away with a sackful of his kids' video games and DVDs. He rolled down the window of his squad car and offered her a lift. She gratefully accepted saying that she only lived a few blocks away. He drove to a police checkpoint along the way and had her arrested. Jeez, even some Missouri National Guardsmen pocketed some small electonics after they were assigned to guard the Wal-Mart Super Center that was leveled. Their defense is that a manager told them all the merchandise was going to be written off and to take what they wanted. Nobody would have said anything if they'd helped themselves to bottles of water or soft drinks or snack food. But cameras? Hand held games? Nah. Some things just aren't right.
In an interesting study done after the Greensburg, KS F-5 tornado in 2007 researchers talked about the population shift that occurred after the storm. Renters left the town first and that certainly makes sense. There's no place to live so many of the victims moved away. The older citizens left next: homes gone, a major medical facility destroyed, many moved away to be closer to family members. And with so many businesses destroyed lower income folks gathered their belongings amd moved on to find another place to live and work. Those who stayed had businesses and homes to rebuild and drew their own line in the sand. The downside is that Kiowa County, of which Greensburg is the county seat, lost almost half of their population and of course that has an adverse effect on taxes which has an equally adverse effect on services offered to those who stayed.
The same thing has replayed this past year in Joplin: low income earners split, senior citizens vacated, (my in-laws lived with us for eight weeks and I can promise you that was six weeks too long) and those who stayed behind are rebuilding. The fact that so many are now on anti-depressants is troubling and it saddens me that so many are fretful when storm clouds start to brew up during hot, muggy afternoons. But, in time, raw wounds will heal and memories will fade and people will be able to rebuild their lives.
The public outpouring of assistance has been astonishing. The Feds stepped up like they should but the volunteers that poured into Joplin were just breath taking and a year later they're still coming: church groups and civic organizations led the way but the individual volunteers, like Shaintiques dad and my son's youth ministry group are still pouring in. There's this man from Japan who flew in over eight months ago to help. He's been camping out in a church basement and somebody gave him a bicycle so he can get around town. Apparently the cat couldn't even speak English when he showed up yet every day he rides down to the service centers and volunteers himself out cleaning debris, repairing damaged homes, sorting supplies, hell, it just doesn't matter. He came to help and I guess he'll leave when his visa runs out or there's nothing left for him to do.
Like him or not I'm grateful to our President for his public appearances in Joplin as well as all of the celebrities from Rush Limbaugh to Sheryl Crow to Barry Manilow who have given so generously to the town. Manilow sent in several semi loads of band instruments to replace those lost when the high school was destroyed. Crow donated a vintage automobile with the proceeds from the auction to provide relief. The car sold for well over double early auction expectation. And to all of you who gathered clothes and food or maybe threw a couple of extra bucks into the offering plate or at the Red Cross or United Way fund raising drives I say thank you. I truly appreciate what you've done.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I live in Oklahoma so I have seen my fair share of tornadoes, I can see why they our touring, it is really neat to see the damage! Roofs twisted and the damage makes it look like a war zone. It's human nature to be courios and if there's money to be mad then by all means make your money. I will say you should not put the victims through more and a decent human would give a least a portion of profits back to the community that was damaged...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
One of my coworkers lives near Joplin, and he missed a weeks work to help with the search and rescue effort. We covered for him while he was gone, and he sent us some pix of the damage as he worked through it looking for survivors. Hats off to those who worked so hard and sacrificed to help out up there. Good luck to those that have to rebuild.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
We get Tornadoes up here in Minnesota. Haven't had one that bad though. Some areas just seem to get hammered.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Yep, you've got to be pretty damned bored with money burning a hole in your pocket to want to do that.
Ah, just to maybe see the other side of the coin here ... maybe, just maybe, that tourist bus wasn't on a mission to crap on people in despair, but actually was making one of many stops, like most tourist buses do.
Don't blame a whole bus for one or two jerks.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Back in March when my town, West Liberty, Kentucky, was pretty much wiped off the map by an EF3 tornado, I was amazed by the fact that so many people wanted to stop on the street and take a tour through downtown. Now I can't say how many of these were "tourists" but it certainly was annoying for people trying to put their lives back together and for those trying to clean up the mess. Wish sometimes people would think before they act.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always been a firm believer in Karma because I have seen it work so many times in my own life, these people will get theirs in the end.
fnord, thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I am sure Joplin will come back better than ever. I don't know the statistics, but what are the odds of a tornado ever hitting that town again? I don't think people should move so quickly.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
when i was 15 my dad and i took our shrimp boat and went to cameron and rescued people,while dad pulled them out of the water i had a long pole to beat the snakes off,a week later we went for body recovery,sheriff saw a man cutting a womens fingers off for her rings,he shot him on the spot,those looters are lucky they weren"t in la,i donated food for a man who went and cooked for the people,every little bit helps the old cajun i forgot this was for hurracane AUDERY

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
There was one looter here in Joplin that got shot (only one I know of anyway). There was an older couple who had their home destroyed, and from what I could gather the husband was staying on the property to watch some of the belongings. Looter walked in and got shot dead. I really think they should have publicized it more.
The bondsmen all got together and refused to bail anyone arrested for looting. I thought that was pretty cool.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
I suppose even misery can be marketed. I don't so much question the motivation of the tour bus owner - I guess he has to make a buck "somehow" - but I do question the motivation of the people who pay to take such a tour. I see tragedy marketed all around this country - Dallas Book Depository/Dealey Plaza, Ford's Theater, Ground Zero, Oklahoma City. I guess it is the same motivation that causes people to slow down and take a peek at a deadly car wreck or to watch NASCAR, air shows and anywhere else where death and destruction is being played out or is imminent. "There but for the grace of God go I". I can only hope this tour bus owner donates some of his gains to the relief effort...

Status
Not open for further replies.